HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Illinois baiting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/416201-illinois-baiting.html)

Conquistador 11-11-2017 06:27 AM

Illinois baiting

So, I know this topic probably comes up every year but this is my first deer season (bow) so I wanted to ask a few guys from Illinois what they do if anything. On public land, I was in ogle county in my climber, got down after I got busted by a doe only 7yards away...I turned my head slightly and she was gone..ughh but back on topic I did some walking around, and found of two stands with four corn piles and a salt block. I've been out over 10 times so far and have yet to see a conservation officer.
Don't know whether I should report it or not, I am sure it's local guys. Do the COs not worry about public land anymore? I would have tossed the corn but I really didn't want anything to do with it out in the woods, just in case a CO was out there.

mrbb 11-11-2017 07:18 AM

CO are far and few, they cannot be every where there is public land
the RIGHT thing to do is report it, as if you get caught there YOU can be fined, the law in PA< reads if you KNOW of bait in an area, you legally cannot hunt there and been told thats all they need to fine you for hunting that area?
a warden here actually told me there is NO set amount of distance to be away from bait too(he even went to say he fined folks over a mile away(I called BS< but he swore he did???)
SO in your own best interest on NOT being illegally hunting there, you should maybe report it>
draw back can be if it was private land and owners cheated and you report them and then you loose access to the lands?/
but right is right, wrong is wrong

Your call, NO one can MAKE you do anything?
I'd report it if it was me!

Conquistador 11-11-2017 08:19 AM

I called the site and reported it, it's up to them now. I didn't hunt there today and don't plan on going back. Its a shame because it's a good spot just based on the topo and its a great travel corridor. I've read the trapper digest over and back, I do everything legal. It just sucks to see this and be involved.

Oldtimr 11-11-2017 08:57 AM

You did exactly the right thing, WCOs can't be everywhere so they depend on good sportsmen to report violations. It also is possible you prevented an innocent hunter such as your self from getting caught up in a mess.

hatchet jack 12-03-2017 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Conquistador (Post 4320442)
I called the site and reported it, it's up to them now. I didn't hunt there today and don't plan on going back. Its a shame because it's a good spot just based on the topo and its a great travel corridor. I've read the trapper digest over and back, I do everything legal. It just sucks to see this and be involved.

Good!!! RAT DEM CRUMBS OUT!!!!!!!

salukipv1 02-15-2018 06:36 PM

Relieve yourself in the area...

rogerstv 02-16-2018 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by salukipv1 (Post 4328445)

I firmly believe deer cannot discern human urine from any other. We don't have pheromones. Use to bottle it then came to my senses and stopped.

johnst43 04-17-2018 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by salukipv1 (Post 4328445)

That doesn't work.

Oldtimr 04-17-2018 11:35 AM

No it doesn't, I know a couple of people who have shot deer sniffing the spot where those people urinated.