Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Where should I buy? >

Where should I buy?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Where should I buy?

Old 10-06-2017, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Central WI is pretty decent for land sales and deer hunting. But you're going to be dealing with the idiot no good in-laws from Illinois there as well. So pick your poison.
And I have found with young kids (at least with mine) that 2-3 hours is about ALL the driving you want to do with them. From start to stop.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Consider your drive time.

My deer camp is about 2 hours and 40 minutes. Myself, or the whole family, get there at least once a month through the good weather months for riding and relaxing.. Often times more than that. And during rifle season I often make the drive for hunting just one day even. It's a manageable drive.

Any farther though and it would not be good. 5 hours of travel essentially adds a day of travel time each time you go. So drive time will limit your options.

Also, do not over look public access. you could possibly go smaller on the property while still having the ability to build your cabin and ride the toys around, but focus your hunting on the public land.

The right piece of property, even if it's small, can be huntable for one person or a father/son.

Do your research. Make sure you buy what you want. Otherwise you'll just be unhappy with your purchase. It also pays to talk to the neighbors before buying. One conversation with a neighbor could change your opinion on the property/area.

-Jake
Old 10-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Spike

Default IL hunting

Originally Posted by Cpd5899
So, I'm just a 38 year old dumb cop from Chicago looking to get into hunting. I hunted twice while I was a Marine Corps recruiter stationed in Harrisburg, PA. Besides that, I have pretty much no experience. I have two boys under 5 who I would love to take hunting when the time is right. (This almost sounds like a personal ad)

Anyway, I am looking at purchasing some land and was hoping for a little guidance...

I'm looking at purchasing around 40 acres (i know its not a huge amount of land but land ain't cheap. LOL) . I'm hoping to clear about an acre or two for a small cabin, play in the remaining 40 during the spring and summer and hunt during the fall. I was originally looking at the UP. My concern with that, is after looking at the success rate in the UP via their DNR, and also the absence of doe tags (I know its all about the bucks, but for me, its also about the meat at the same time) I'm worried that, A) I'd come up dry more times than not, and B) when my sons are younger, they will either get bored with the lack of Bucks to shoot, or C) they will get bored of not being able to shoot anything (hence why I would like an area with doe tags).

I have started looking for the same size land in central WI. As you know the price of land there is about twice what it is in the UP. With all that being said (I know its such a long email, and if you took the time to read it all I truly aprecaite it), if you were looking at purchasing 40 acres, build small cabin/play/hunt and still have kids be able to have sucessfull hunt (regardless of doe or buck) which direction would you go? Also, from reading ur site and watching ur videos, I know for the most part what to look for, but is there anything I should stay away from, ie. mostly low lands, all agg lands with minimal forest?

Again, thanks for reading this if you made it all the way through and I hope to hear from someone soon.
Would you be interested in 10 acres in southern IL 3 hrs east from Chicago. Single wide 06'dutch, hard roads all the way to town which is 9 miles.1/4 acre stocked pond that's 5 yrs old, 60x40 machine shed I put foam spray insulation on the roof and insulated the walls also,creek runs through property always holds water, there is 100 acres of woods on one side of this property and 200 on other side it's just a go between for deer and turkey ect.,above ground pool only 2 yrs old and deck also.12 person septic system , and county water although there is a water well also on the property. We have a couple neighbors but at a distance NOT rite on top of you. Property is in clay county IL. TKS for your time. 135k is asking price
Old 10-07-2017, 05:07 PM
Spike

Default IL hunting

Originally Posted by Grooveinit
Would you be interested in 10 acres in southern IL 3 hrs east from Chicago. Single wide 06'dutch, hard roads all the way to town which is 9 miles.1/4 acre stocked pond that's 5 yrs old, 60x40 machine shed I put foam spray insulation on the roof and insulated the walls also,creek runs through property always holds water, there is 100 acres of woods on one side of this property and 200 on other side it's just a go between for deer and turkey ect.,above ground pool only 2 yrs old and deck also.12 person septic system , and county water although there is a water well also on the property. We have a couple neighbors but at a distance NOT rite on top of you. Property is in clay county IL. TKS for your time. 135k is asking price
shoot me a text if so 618 663 0113
Old 10-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Grooveinit
shoot me a text if so 618 663 0113
It sounds like an amazing property, but you are obviously from Illinois, so you can probably understand, I want OUT of this place ANY chance I could get... I wanna go where the politics are AS crooked, the dollar stretches more, and the people are nicer.

I'd go to the south, but their deer are the size of dogs... You can kill almost 20 in a season, but again my German Shepherd is bigger.. LOL