Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Early November Hunt, Worth It? >

Early November Hunt, Worth It?

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Early November Hunt, Worth It?

Old 08-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Early November Hunt, Worth It?

Scheduled a hunt for 1-7 November in northern Missouri and after the fact, realized it will be the peak of full moon within the first 4 days of my hunt, is it worth even going? The deer are typically nocturnal during this time except for maybe mid day. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have nevber cared what the moon is< I have killed deer at all phase's of it??
best time to hunt is when you have the time,
be where the deer want to be before them and its all you need to worry about
I would worry MUCH much more about if its COLD or warm, than worry about the moon
warm/hot Novembers seems to make more activity at night than anything else does! and keeps all things staying put more

last time I was in MO< I did a week of archery and 4 days of rifle, and killed two 10 pointers, one with bow, one with gun?

a few yrs back forget when exactly, but think was last week of OCT first week of nov?

I am sure others will argue otherwise
but if you have the time, HUNT that week, if you prefer to hunt a different week and have the time hunt that??
deer are out there 24/7/365??
Old 08-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm hunting Iowa this year from Nov2nd til Nov 10th. Sitting in a tree the first week of November is a good thing, full moon or no full moon. For me the weather is it. Cool or COLD. but good luck with that this year. The drought they are having in SE Iowa this year is a real problem. EHD whispers are in the air. I do a rain dance every night I go to bed!!!!!! Good Luck on your hunt!!!!

HJ
Old 08-02-2017, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

I know the first week of November after Halloween is a great time to be in the woods in the Midwest. I typically do not see deer in the early morning during full moon. They have been out all night feeding. Usually just before dark has been better. Seem the big spotlight in the sky screws me up. Oh well, I have a few days before I need to make the decision. Thanks for your insight
Old 08-02-2017, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by midsouth_hunter
I know the first week of November after Halloween is a great time to be in the woods in the Midwest. I typically do not see deer in the early morning during full moon. They have been out all night feeding. Usually just before dark has been better. Seem the big spotlight in the sky screws me up. Oh well, I have a few days before I need to make the decision. Thanks for your insight
Here's something else to chew on. The Deer Doctor, Dr Charles peak Rut prediction is November 2nd til November 12th .

HJ
Old 08-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure how the deer Doctor makes that prediction. So many factors goes into it. Sounds nice but if it turns on to 85 degrees you are not going to see much rut activity. Was in Missouri last year and it was warm. Had a mosquito bite me on November 4th near Iowa. Small bucks moving only until a week later. Its great to be in the woods in November in the Midwest but its got to be fore the experience and not for the large trophy.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

Cant shoot a deer if not in the woods. Moon phases and weather vary from year to year, but opening day is the same. I don't sit out.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Berserker, That's true, if not in the woods, definitely no chance at a deer. My concern is do I spend the kind of money and time it takes to travel to Midwest during a time of year (Full Moon) where the possibility of an encounter is somewhat limited or save my money and time for a better time frame in another state. Just was wanting another opinion. Thanks for all of your needed inputs
Old 08-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by midsouth_hunter
Not sure how the deer Doctor makes that prediction. So many factors goes into it. Sounds nice but if it turns on to 85 degrees you are not going to see much rut activity. Was in Missouri last year and it was warm. Had a mosquito bite me on November 4th near Iowa. Small bucks moving only until a week later. Its great to be in the woods in November in the Midwest but its got to be fore the experience and not for the large trophy.
Most of the Rut prediction is based when the 2nd Full Moon falls after the Fall Equinox. If its 85 degrees in November your not going to see much activity with anything.

Last edited by hatchet jack; 08-05-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Spike

Here in SE Minnesota we open our deer season on November 4th and can pretty much expect that bucks will be all over looking for action and the only thing that might really sway their thinking is heavy wind. I've tagged 95% of my bucks from the last 25 years during the day during this season and many of these animals were in serious rut behavior. The first couple days of the season will get hit pretty darned hard with drives and that keeps buck moving but even in mid-week after that opening weekend I shoot bucks in full daylight. Northern Missouri is what, maybe 500 miles? I'd think bucks there during the time you have listed should be about crazed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.