Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Antler Point Restictions in Wisconsin >

Antler Point Restictions in Wisconsin

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Antler Point Restictions in Wisconsin

Old 01-06-2017, 01:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

That isn't the point. There is a world of difference asking hunters to hold back for the health of the deer herd, it is a far different thing to asked them to spend the same amount of money as the bone hunters and force them to hold back to create trophy bucks. That I am unalterably opposed to .
Old 01-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
That isn't the point. There is a world of difference asking hunters to hold back for the health of the deer herd, it is a far different thing to asked them to spend the same amount of money as the bone hunters and force them to hold back to create trophy bucks. That I am unalterably opposed to .
I agree, the point I was trying to make was that the meat hunters may be disappointed that they can't take the first spike they see, but I don't know of any "meat" hunter that wouldn't be happier with a nice eight. And after the first year, in theory, there should be about as many 2 1/2 yo's to shoot for meat as there was 1 1/2 yo spikes or forks the year before. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if its better for the deer herd and it's better for the quality of deer I shoot, I can't see the downside. Other than for the guy that can't shoot the first buck he sees, but by next year there should be enough 2 1/2 yo's coming up to satisfy him, unless he's the one deer hunter in the world who just hates shooting deer with big horns. The guys that say horns don't matter and that they only hunt for meat still smile when they load that 10 pointer in the truck.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
WMU means wildlife management unit, it includes pubic and private land in the unit.
Ok. Understand now. I was under the impression that public and private had separate guidelines
Old 01-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK 243, I miss understood your meaning, I can't argue with what you just said. We used to kill close to 70 percent of our year and a half old deer every year, now we have several age classes and much bigger deer all the way around.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

The big mature buck can also appeal to the meat hunter. I'd rather the butcher give me two big boxes than 1 small one.

They are harder to drag, though.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by dogbone13
Because of 6 points of that caliber not being able to be shot I am 100% against a 4 point on 1 side restriction. Not trying to start an argument over it but there are better solutions to having mature bucks being killed.
I am with you! We have a 6 pt. well over 200 #'s around here for three years now. Very elusive, when people are in the woods he disappears till Jan. / Feb. I have many pics from summer but nothing after.

No war wanted here , In WI. the herd varies a great deal. I am happy with letting the hunters choose the deer they want to take. In my area we have a lot of deer but when you hunt on public land there isn't a lot of deer to be had. If you want a real trophy you can go to the National forest and go deep in where the big bruisers dwell. Not everyone has the same goals, some it might be just to get out in the great outdoors as others just want venison!
Old 01-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Spike

mc54 what are the deer limits in your state? how long has your state had same limits? from those limits what pro's and cons have you noticed?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Antler restriction promotes older bucks. (and also killing more does)

CWD is found at a higher rate in older bucks.

Wisconsin wants to slow the spread of CWD, so they wont do it.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Spike

kabic what limits do you have in Wisconsin for deer?
Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dogbone13
kabic what limits do you have in Wisconsin for deer?
1 buck for archery or crossbow
1 buck for gun (can use unused gun tag during the muzzle loader season)

I will also mention that party hunting is legal for gun (not archery) under some restrictions( have to be in verbal or visual contact). This allows deer drivers to be legal, i.e the Stander can kill two bucks, and a Pusher can put his tag on one.

So you can kill 2 bucks a year if you hunt both archery and gun.

The number of doe tags available differ depending on what part of the state you are in. Some counties have 0 or very limited doe tags, others have lots available. You get one free doe tag (when you buy your licence) for use in "farmland" areas I believe. Otherwise you can buy more. Detailed information on this is available here: http://dnr.wi.gov/Permits/bonusavailability.html

Some what new is separating doe tag availability by private land\public land

Seasons:
Archery & Crossbow Sept. 17–Jan. 8, 2017

Youth Deer Hunt Oct. 8 & 9

Gun Deer Hunt for Hunters
with Disabilities▲ Oct. 1–9

Gun Nov. 19–27

Muzzleloader Nov. 28–Dec. 7

Statewide Antlerless Hunt Dec. 8–11

Antlerless-only Holiday Hunt Dec. 24–Jan. 1, 2017**

* Please check the 2016 Wisconsin Deer Hunting Regulations for
a complete set of dates and unit designations.

▲ This is not a statewide season. More information is available at
dnr.wi.gov, keyword: “disabled deer hunt”.

**Open only in select Farmland Zone counties; see 2016
regulations for open counties

Last edited by kabic; 01-11-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.