Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Antler Point Restictions in Wisconsin >

Antler Point Restictions in Wisconsin

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Antler Point Restictions in Wisconsin

Old 01-06-2017, 10:18 AM
Spike

Barnes you get 1 buck tag a year and how many doe tags?
Old 01-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a certain amount of doe tags for each WMU. You can apply for a tag around July or August. Non-residents can apply after that. If there are any left, you can apply for a second tag. Usually you get one.

Down by the cities, they have a lot more. Some guys get 5-10. But in the rural areas, it's usually only one. If you don't send out for a tag by around Labor Day, you're usually SOL in the rural areas.

So, the short answer is: usually one tag in the country and 5 or more in the suburbs.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

There are three application dates for most of the state.This past season on July 11 the application for the regular doe license for residents could be sent in, non residents could apply July 18, then on August 1, the first round of unsold licenses could be mailed in and on August 15 the second round of unsold licenses could be sent for. This would allow a total of three doe licenses for all but three WMUs. Many times licenses sell out before the 3rd round in some WMUs. In three WMUs The mail in application started on July 11, for one license, then on August 1 applicants may apply for an unlimited number of licenses but no more than three applications per official envelope, On August 22 if there were any licenses left in the three WMUs applicants could buy unlimited over the counter until the license were all sold out.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

^^^^^ Yeah, what he said.

Everyone in my camp applies for one tag and everyone gets it unless they lolly-gag on getting the app in the mail. I think most guys in 3B get one doe tag. A few guys get 2 tags and a few get none. But I think most hunters in my area get one tag.

Some of the old timers refuse to shoot a doe but they are becoming fewer.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I always apply for two in case the landowner needs a deer so I can shoot one for him. He doesn't stay out long because of heart problems. I have never applied for three in the WMU I hunt because I have no need for that many deer but the WMU I hunt does sell out so I apply exactly on time..
Old 01-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

We applied a rule for hunting out of our camp. One buck and one doe per man. And, with my son and my dad hunting, we never are needing for meat anyway.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not a bad rule.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:34 PM
Spike

Ok you stated wmu. What about private land or did I miss it.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

WMU means wildlife management unit, it includes pubic and private land in the unit.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
In an ideal world everyone would be knowledgeable about "QDMA" and practice good habbits, such as shooting matured deer, not just based on number of points... But since you can't trust people to do that, the only way to attempt to enforce it is antler restrictions. I'm sure allot of young 8 points, which would have potential to be real brutes, get shot every year because they are a "legal buck" even though they arent mature.... And every year some heavy and old illegal bucks walk because they don't meet the point requirement.
-Jake
I completely agree. It would be great if most hunters could let the 1 1/2 yo bucks go on their own, but that's not going to happen. And I can't think of any other realistic or enforceable solution. The more I read hear the better APR sounds. Its impossible to make everyone happy. And not trying to be an a--hole, I know a lot of guys that are meat hunters, but I don't think a single one of them would pass on a big, older buck with 150 inches on top of his head, and wait for a tasty little spike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.