HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Opening day saw a bob cat. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/410018-opening-day-saw-bob-cat.html)

flyinlowe 11-13-2016 04:47 AM

Opening day saw a bob cat.

For most of you this won't be a big deal but I have been in the outdoors most of my 40 years hunting, fishing, camping etc. and never seen a bob cat. I was hunting in Wayne Co Indiana yesterday morning right at day light. I was sitting on the edge of a woods facing an open picked field. I was watching a small buck walking toward me quartering to my right about 100 yards out. As it began to get out of view I saw it jump and turn and start to run back to them middle of the field. It was looking back from time to time so I figured there was another hunter up in that area (adjoining property). I was watching it through my scope when I caught some noise below me. I looked down and my first instinct was a coyote due to it's size. Second look it looked exactly like a house cat only 2 -3 times the size. At first I was in disbelief and confused not knowing what I was seeing. It walked right under my stand crossing in front of me and out of sight to my left.

I got online and found that Indiana does have a growing bobcat population however according to what I saw on the DNR's web site there have been no confirmed sightings in Wayne Co. For me it was a cool experience. Many of you with them will think no big deal.

blessed n born to hunt 11-13-2016 05:19 AM

I think it's awesome, I'm a bow hunter, year round and I spend a lot of time in the woods, in 30 years I have seen only 5 cats and 3 were actually hunting and never shoot able and one was almost under me at full draw when it bolted down to the right and out of site ,and this one's best - hunting public lbj grasslands I'm deer hunting when I see an amazing cat hunting birds in a thicket beneath the giant cedar tree I'm and he's finished and coming my way, I'm so excited to be about to harvest my first bobcat when he stops right in front only 20 yards perfect except the huge cat stopped ab sat and bathed himself us like a house cat- after seeing him get his bird and I was ready to take him but he saved himself - I just couldn't shoot him whole he was just sitting there liking his paws and rubbing his ears - gave him a pass. I did look up trapers advise to hang abuch of feathers or a white chicken wing in the wind close to the ground , curiosity killed the cat

salukipv1 11-13-2016 01:47 PM

Seen 1 in CO, dad saw 1 here in IL a coupe years back.

flyinlowe 11-13-2016 03:32 PM

They are still protected in Indiana.

Bocajnala 11-14-2016 02:09 AM

I'd call and report your sighting. It will be good for their records. I've seen 3 of them in PA while hunting now. Really cool to see. Pure predator.
-Jake

ChicagoTRS 11-21-2016 10:15 AM

They are uncommon to see as they are so wary and mostly nocturnal but there is a healthy population in most of the midwest.

Illinois asks in their automated deer check-in survey, how many bobcats have you seen?