HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   2015 Deer Season for Michigan U.P. & Drummond Island (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/399402-2015-deer-season-michigan-u-p-drummond-island.html)

Kathwacckkk 05-21-2015 05:04 AM

2015 Deer Season for Michigan U.P. & Drummond Island

There has been a ton of press lately about the diminished deer herd in the U.P. of Michigan. There was even talk about eliminating the deer season. Last I heard was the deer season would be held, but the quotas, antlerless permits, etc... we all to be determined.

I am a member of a hunting club on Drummond Island and was relieved to hear that news. I know, why leave Jackson County for the UP.... it's the experience. Recently had a discussion with a client that said Drummond Island was considered a Special Management Unit (S.M.U.) and the deer season on the island was still up for debate.The theory being the DNR views the island herd as a test case for the remainder of the U.P. as they are considered mostly permanent to the island.

Was wondering if anyone has heard any news regarding the hunting season on Drummond Island for 2015.

alleyyooper 06-03-2015 04:07 AM

Haven't heard any thing about the island. Rest of the UP is a go so far. The DNR is the best place to get the information you inquired about. The DNR just doesn't have a clue on how to manage the UP's deer herd. Can't keep a good herd with wolves eating 20 deer per critter and they claim less than 1000 but I dis agree. Also the coyote population has gotten much bigger, rarely heard them at my Rapid River deer camp till around 2000 Now we see at least 5 a day per hunter and can't shot them during fire arm deer season.
Then throw in some hard winters to boot.

:D Al

Topgun 3006 06-03-2015 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by alleyyooper (Post 4200570)
Haven't heard any thing about the island. Rest of the UP is a go so far. The DNR is the best place to get the information you inquired about. The DNR just doesn't have a clue on how to manage the UP's deer herd. Can't keep a good herd with wolves eating 20 deer per critter and they claim less than 1000 but I dis agree. Also the coyote population has gotten much bigger, rarely heard them at my Rapid River deer camp till around 2000 Now we see at least 5 a day per hunter and can't shot them during fire arm deer season.
Then throw in some hard winters to boot.

:D Al

Are you hunting private or public land? If you're on private, the law allows you to shoot them any time by declaring they are causing a problem. IMHO there should be no coyote season and we should be allowed to legally shoot them any time on private or public lands. That certainly would not hurt their population greatly as smart as they are.