HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Michigan buck delema (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/396014-michigan-buck-delema.html)

TDub1988 11-29-2014 10:14 AM

Michigan buck delema

So after a few afternoon hunts had young bucks and about 40 doe so close I couldn't move an inch because some were so close to the ground blind I was in that I could touch them. I noticed that about 15 minutes before the sun down there was an 8. pointe who had 9 inch tines trying to psych myself up to thinking it was within shooting range when it was close to 300 yards away using a shotgun really bummed me out we have a rule where nobody on the property shoots anything under 6. so what my question is how to get these old smart bucks who obviously are not dumb and are staying at that distance for a reason how do I get them close enough to take that shot this is my last night up here and I need some good advice

Brandon_SPC 11-29-2014 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by TDub1988 (Post 4172586)
So after a few afternoon hunts had young bucks and about 40 doe so close I couldn't move an inch because some were so close to the ground blind I was in that I could touch them. I noticed that about 15 minutes before the sun down there was an 8. pointe who had 9 inch tines trying to psych myself up to thinking it was within shooting range when it was close to 300 yards away using a shotgun really bummed me out we have a rule where nobody on the property shoots anything under 6. so what my question is how to get these old smart bucks who obviously are not dumb and are staying at that distance for a reason how do I get them close enough to take that shot this is my last night up here and I need some good advice

Move your stand or blind to where he is coming out at.

9th tine 01-09-2015 02:08 PM

For next year if you have the does the big boy's will come in closer when the does are in season

Mickey Finn 01-10-2015 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon_SPC (Post 4172597)
Move your stand or blind to where he is coming out at.

Yeah, they seem to stay clear of crowds of does, and younger deer. There are several types of bucks. Some you can pattern, and some you can't. Some just show up at the right place, and the right time. Though you have never seen them before.

If it's an area you plan to hunt next year. Go out as soon as the snow is gone. Look for rub lines, and scraps. This can help you to figure out some of the bucks in your area. Where they like to bed, and where they feel safe. The only way to get the buck you can't pattern is to be on stand when he comes around.

Good luck next year!

uncle matt 01-11-2015 01:04 PM

Keep some doe in heat with you. When you see the bucks or think they're coming let some scent out. Can't hurt. Bucks know the smell. Maybe one will be fooled into thinking he's gonna score a little somethin somethin...

Triple Se7en 01-15-2015 04:49 AM

Find out what his favorite food choice is. :lmao: