Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Bobcat's In Illinois - Revised >

Bobcat's In Illinois - Revised

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Bobcat's In Illinois - Revised

Old 12-22-2014, 03:32 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Saw two kittens chasing a rabbit, then a few days later a huge mama (I assume) pouncing for voles same spot in Pike County.

They got this bobcat legislation update on NBC TV Chicago morning news right now.

Last edited by Zim; 12-22-2014 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:40 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

The Bobcat bill is sitting on the Governor's desk awaiting his signature. It calls for a season running from the beginning of November til the middle of February (not sure of the exact dates) and a limit of 1 Bobcat per hunter per season. Illinois law says if the bill is not signed within 60 days it automatically becomes law. My guess is that is exactly what is going to happen as Quinn has not said if he intends to sign it or not, but the bill passed by a wide enough margin to override a veto.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:05 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Quick update. The idiot Quinn vetoed the Bobcat bill literally as he was walking out the door. Work has already started on reintroducing it in the current legislative session and there should be no problem getting it passed again and signed by the new Governor. There are no sure things in Illinois politics, but hopefully they can get it done this time.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Saw a large female in Pike county in 2013.. There are quite a few in that area. Putting a hurting on those turkeys......
Old 03-05-2015, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know several Hunters in Illinios in Randolph County that were hoping they passed the Bill so they could hunt Bobcats....each of those Hunters have seen several Bobcats while Turkey and Deer Hunting over the years.

Bobcats are very quiet and elusive,there are several places I hunt that have a healthy population of Bobcats.They move mostly at night and will come in to several different distress sounds and decoys,I use a feather on a string hanging from a tree limb or stick to catch their attention.A trail camera is the best thing to use for catching them moving at night or in the early mornings and late evenings,Bobcats will move during the day time also just not as much as the other times I previously mentioned.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Quick update. While the Bobcat season bill is still alive and kicking, it has been amended to require a permit to hunt Bobcats. Not sure, but I believe the state of Illinois already has it's hand in my pocket far enough. As written the amendment does not allow the permit fee to exceed $5, so I guess that isn't too bad. It does allow the state to control the Bobcat season on a county by county basis just like it does the Whitetail season. Hope they don't get it as screwed up as they have our Whitetail herd.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:02 AM
Fork Horn

Just read somewhere that Gov. Rauner signed the bobcat bill. It looks like permits will be $5, with a statewide limit of 300 cats total, and the season will run Nov. through Feb. If this is true, it'll be tough to get a bobcat tag. I'm betting there's a lot of people waiting for a chance to get one.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well they only estimate the statewide numbers to be around 5000 so you will have fun getting a permit. They must have been on our properties to get that count because I know we have quite a few around here.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 08-05-2015, 03:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Well they only estimate the statewide numbers to be around 5000 so you will have fun getting a permit. They must have been on our properties to get that count because I know we have quite a few around here.
I'm not wasting any time trying to get a tag. I've never seen one here. I'd bet 99% of them are south of interstate 70. Even if I did see one, I doubt I'd even try to hunt it. I have plenty of coyotes to keep me busy in the off season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.