HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   new IL hunter. some questions some complaints (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/389928-new-il-hunter-some-questions-some-complaints.html)

jehan60188 02-24-2014 02:59 PM

new IL hunter. some questions some complaints

so, I've been thinking of getting in to hunting (on the fence about if I want to start with deer or duck), but it seems like there are a lot of obstacles in illinois.

So, I've got Hunter Safety Education in a few weeks; but it seems like I might be better off hunting in Wisconsin. Do I have to take another safety course for that, or will my Illinois safety course be recognized by Wisconsin? Or Indiana, or any other state for that matter?

I've gotten a foid card, and after much research decided a AR-10 chambered in .308 would be a good gun. EXCEPT it's too small to be legally used in illinois, AND in illinois, I have to use a muzzle loader.
So, maybe a shotgun would be better? Are 12 gauge slugs more effective than .308?

hope you guys can provide some insight!

uncle matt 02-24-2014 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by jehan60188 (Post 4124546)
so, I've been thinking of getting in to hunting (on the fence about if I want to start with deer or duck), but it seems like there are a lot of obstacles in illinois.

So, I've got Hunter Safety Education in a few weeks; but it seems like I might be better off hunting in Wisconsin. Do I have to take another safety course for that, or will my Illinois safety course be recognized by Wisconsin? Or Indiana, or any other state for that matter?

I've gotten a foid card, and after much research decided a AR-10 chambered in .308 would be a good gun. EXCEPT it's too small to be legally used in illinois, AND in illinois, I have to use a muzzle loader.
So, maybe a shotgun would be better? Are 12 gauge slugs more effective than .308?

hope you guys can provide some insight!

I'll respond to your comments and answer your questions in order that you asked them including my comments with each answer.

1. You say that after "much research you decided on an AR-10 in .308. Excuse me? You are saying you don't know if you want to start hunting in IL with deer or duck. You can't rifle hunt deer in Illinois but where can you duck hunt with a .308 rifle??? Also I'm not sure where you would get the idea that the .308 is too small to use in IL unless you read the regulation referring to handguns in IL which specifies minimum caliber of .357.

2. You say you have a Hunter Safety Class in a few weeks and I can't recommend strongly enough that you pay very close attention. Indiana and Wisconsin will recognize your completion of a Hunter Safety class in Illinois.

3. In Illinois you do not have to use a muzzleloader but it is one of several acceptable firearms for deer.

4. I do not know that a 12 gauge slug is more or less effective for hunting and successfully harvesting deer but I can say it is certainly say that both would be effective enough with proper use. As would other shotgun gauges such as 10,16 or 20.

bsums 02-24-2014 03:47 PM

The easiest way is to call your game and fish department. They can give you all the info you need. For deciding on what hunting type you want to start with you should choose what will fit best. Deer hunting will take more time and patience and is usually done with one other person or alone. Duck hunting is quicker and is better with friends, I would say deer hunting is more exciting when you bag one. So deer hunting is slower, solo or another person while hunting, a lot less shooting, more patience required, and more challenging but its very exciting. Duck hunting is faster, you won't be doing hiking etc but in a blind or someplace covered, and you do in groups, and more shooting. Both are really fun!

Murdy 02-24-2014 04:44 PM

I would get a gun you can hunt with in your home state, and that's not a .308, though it would be a fine choice if you planned on limiting your hunting to Wisconsin. A muzzlelaoder would allow you to hunt one additional weekend, and they are legal to use during the firearm season, but there are a few public sites that don't allow muzzleloaders for some reason (outside of the muzzleloader season, which is the second weekend in December, usually). But a shotgun would allow you to hunt those additional sites, if you happen to live near them (are you in northern Illinois?). Ideally, get all 3, a muzzy for muzzy season, a good slug gun (look at the savage or browning bolt-actions), and the .308 for hunting in Wisconsin (which is also worthwhile). But if cost is a factor (it is with me), start with the shotgun, add the muzzy if you want to hunt that extra weekend, and figure out rest later (a good slug gun will work just fine in Wisconsin, too).

fastetti 02-24-2014 05:30 PM

Personally, Id say pick up the Mossberg or Remington Combo that has both the barrels that will be all you need. Not sure why you are evening looking at the .308 if you want to hunt Illinois unless you want to shoot some coyotes.

MUZZY 100 02-25-2014 12:13 PM

Need to do some more research. First do you have a place to hunt ? If your just starting out even in a state that allows rife deer hunting(Illinois doe's Not) don't think the Ar is your best choice. 12 ga or 308 its all shot placement, both are very deadly to deer. Where did you read 308 was to small in Illinois ? Any state that has rifle season the 308 is allowed and is a great round for deer. Please go back and read The digest before you go any further..........

jehan60188 02-25-2014 10:04 PM

wow, lots of good stuff here, thanks everyone.
I reread this: http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/...mmunition.aspx and honestly, it seems like I've got to use a "Single or double barreled muzzleloading rifles of at least .45 caliber shooting a single projectile through a barrel of at least sixteen inches in length"

thanks again everyone

fastetti 02-26-2014 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by jehan60188 (Post 4124870)
wow, lots of good stuff here, thanks everyone.
I reread this: http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/...mmunition.aspx and honestly, it seems like I've got to use a "Single or double barreled muzzleloading rifles of at least .45 caliber shooting a single projectile through a barrel of at least sixteen inches in length"

thanks again everyone

Just read the link and saw the "Double Barreled muzzleloading". I'm going to try and get into Muzzleloading this year but have never heard of such a gun. This has to be a outdated rule/gun than hasn't been updated.

Murdy 02-27-2014 06:14 AM

I think the double-barrels are mostly traditional muzzy's--flintlocks and such--not modern inlines. Pretty rare too.