HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Illinois Squirrel Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/389053-illinois-squirrel-hunting.html)

stratomaster18 01-17-2014 07:02 PM

Illinois Squirrel Hunting

Has anyone ever done it? I'm very interested in it but haven't been able to find any information. The DNR website didn't say anything that I could find. Any help would be great!

Murdy 01-18-2014 08:44 AM

Season runs August 1 to February 15. Bag limit is 5. If you are planning on hunting public land, check the site-specific rules (It's under the Hunting/Trapping tab listed as Public Hunting Areas). Not all public sites have squirrel seasons, and some have limited seasons or other restrictions (shot gun only is a common restriction). If you have any specific questions, I'll try and answer them.

You can download the Hunting Digest on the IDNR website, and there's some info in it.

stratomaster18 01-19-2014 10:17 AM

Do you just need a hunting license? And do you need to report your harvest like you would with deer or turkey? Also is the type of gun you use site specific?

SecondChance 01-19-2014 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by stratomaster18 (Post 4117103)
Do you just need a hunting license? And do you need to report your harvest like you would with deer or turkey? Also is the type of gun you use site specific?

Yes, a small game hunting license is all you need. You do not have to report your harvest. And you can use shotgun, rifle, airgun, or bow to harvest them unless you are hunting on state property and they are site specific. Check your regulations. This time of year a 22LR is a great time!!!!

Murdy 01-19-2014 07:32 PM

In addition to a hunting license, you need a habitat stamp (only cost about $5). On public land, you usually have to sign in and out at a check station, and when you sign out, there's a spot to list your harvest, but you don't have to call it in anywhere. A for guns, I believe shotguns are legal at all public sites (but check the individual site for possible restrictions on shot size and type), some sights permit rimfire rifles. Check individual sights for details, here:

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/...actSheets.aspx

What sights are you thinking of hunting?

stratomaster18 01-19-2014 07:46 PM

Not sure. I'm southwest cook co. Right by I-80. I'd usually go out to starved rock or marsailles for turkey but might try something closer. Maybe Kankakee state park. Not sure yesterday, still have to look into it. Any suggestions?

stratomaster18 01-19-2014 07:47 PM

Also, if they don't allow .22's I only have a 12 ga. Would that be over kill for a squirrel?

Murdy 01-20-2014 06:53 AM

I use a 12 gauge all the time, just use a light load, like #6 or 7 1/2, in a light game or even target loads.
If you are talking about this year, Marseilles is closed for the season (they open on September 1), Starved Rock is closed, and they only allow a short squirrel season on the south end of Matheissen in (I think) August and September. I don't know much about those sights toward the south of Cook, but I know most public sites around here close their squirrel seasons by about October 1 to make room for archery hunting (Marseilles is an exception). So, as far as Kanakee or DesPlaines, I don't know, but I doubt it. I've heard Mazonia has a late upland season, you might want to call there. The only ones I'm sure are still open this year are Marshall, which is 45 minutes south-west of Starved Rock and Big Bend, which is out on the Rock River (quite a drive).

stratomaster18 01-20-2014 08:38 PM

Gotcha, thanks a lot for your help. I just became interested in it this last week. Perhaps I can find a place that's still open, if not I'll just wait till next year. Is the bag limit 5 per season or 5 per day?

Murdy 01-22-2014 06:18 AM

Daily bag limit is 5; possession limit is 10. Possession limit means the amount one person can possess at any one time, which I've always taken to mean in your freezer. I can't think of anything closer than Marshall or Big Bend that's still open. Good luck.