HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Iowa deer hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/388997-iowa-deer-hunting.html)

bigbuck57 01-15-2014 08:59 AM

Iowa deer hunting

If you had a choice would you rather hunt 1st shot season in Iowa or late Muzzleloader Season. What is your best chance for harvesting a decent buck?

racksnbeards 01-16-2014 07:57 AM

Depends on how much time you’re going to hunt and what your hunting, private, public, guided?

As a resident I prefer late ML. I hunt second season shotgun, but late ML is my second choice if I know I will be busy during shotgun.

With the deer herd numbers being down I’d advise any non-resident to wait a year or two. Kill numbers where down 18% first season, but tag purchases where down 7%. I haven’t seen numbers for the other gun seasons. We seen far less deer, found a few EHD cases and heard a fraction of the shooting this year compared to even last year which was hit pretty hard with EHD. Don’t quote me on this, but as of today it looks like we took about 50,000 less deer this year then last, nothing official just comparing 2012’s total to what’s been reported so far for 2013.

racksnbeards 01-16-2014 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by racksnbeards (Post 4116476)
With the deer herd numbers being down I’d advise any non-resident to wait a year or two. Kill numbers where down 18% first season, but tag purchases where down 7%. I haven’t seen numbers for the other gun seasons. We seen far less deer, found a few EHD cases and heard a fraction of the shooting this year compared to even last year which was hit pretty hard with EHD. Don’t quote me on this, but as of today it looks like we took about 50,000 less deer this year then last, nothing official just comparing 2012’s total to what’s been reported so far for 2013.

My mistake, it looks like Iowa is down roughly 15,000 from last year.

2eagles 01-16-2014 02:51 PM

Late muzzle for sure, unless on private ground. I haven't hunted shotgun season for many years because there's too many slugs flying through the air. Too many deer drives during shotgun season. I prefer to go one on one with the deer. I mostly bow hunt now, but still enjoy muzzle loader season (did late season this year) .

racksnbeards 01-17-2014 05:07 AM

bigbuck57 - I would suggest Missouri for a non-resident tag. Several areas of the state produce quality bucks, there rifle season generally coincides with the rut, the initial tag cost is very reasonable compared to Iowa/Illinois. Non-residents can buy over the counter; your tag is all that is required no hunting license needed. You can also buy doe tags for around $25 I think. It’s been a couple years since I hunted there.

I believe rifle season runs 10 to 12 days, if you do not fill your rifle season tag it is good for the alternative season which is muzzleloader, etc…

Now I think they experienced EHD pretty hard as well. According to an article on grand view outdoors, their rifle season numbers were down 47,000 deer this year after one of the highest kill years last year.