Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
121% Increase for Non Res Turkey License in MI >

121% Increase for Non Res Turkey License in MI

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

121% Increase for Non Res Turkey License in MI

Old 01-14-2014, 09:22 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default 121% Increase for Non Res Turkey License in MI

Well this certainly doesn't promote Turkey Hunting in MI by a Non Residents.
And the number of Turkey hunters has decreased in the past yrs. at least in the area I hunt it certainly has.

Maybe the other Non Res border states ought to do likewise to MI residents. Double the license fees.

The Spring Turkey License (1 Bird) went from $69.00 to $165.00!

A 121% increase if I did the math right.

Something to think about.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's interesting you put that post up JW, as I just got an email news update from the DNR this afternoon regarding the turkey season here since I'm signed up for that kind of stuff. I clicked on the booklet and went down through the fees and saw that huge increase. I haven't emailed my buddy in Florida that used to live up here and that was planning to come up and hunt with me for a week, but I know he will not be a happy camper. I'll be giving him a call in the next couple nights to see whether he will just grin and bear it or stay home. I'm 66 and qualify for the senior rates that are real low and I almost feel like I'm cheating the system, but they go by your birthday when they input your information into the computer to assess your fees, so I have no choice on the charge. Anyway, that's awful high for a NR that may only come up for two or three days just for a chance for one bird. Also, he's 76 and I see no break in price for him like I get. This was a part of the revamp on all licensing they just put into effect the first of the year.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-14-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:43 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Yes I have been reading and it really hurts the person who only hunts one sport or one specie. While the DNR touts this is needed for habitat improvement and such it is a hard pill to swallow. The mean age of deer hunters in MI is 57 . Wow! This will certainly limit the number of Out of State turkey hunters for sure. I do know the area I hunt in Upper Pennisula the number of turkey hunters has decreased dramatically. We no longer see the local Motels filled. Hardly ever run into other hunters which is or was good for us.

And I need to double that as I pay for my daughter to hunt with me and we both are Non-Rezes...

TN is $165 but you can take 4 birds.
GA is $175 and you can take 3 birds.

So $165 for 1 bird - well it will stop quite a few Non resident people I am afraid.

However,
One can save money though if you hunt multiple species, deer, turkey spring or fall, small game and or ducks. You get a 15% discount if you buy 4 licenses at the same time.

New Hunting and Fishing License Structure Price Chart is attached through Excel files.

And we all know the more licenses, game permits, camping permits, any fee any state can substantiate that state gets money back from the Feds thru the Pittman Robertson Act.

JW
Attached Files
File Type: xls
MI Hunt.xls (35.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: xls
fishin.xls (31.5 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by JW; 01-14-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wait, so deer tags for non-residents went from $138 to $20? I'm a little lost by this. I haven't hunted Michigan in a couple years but paid $138 for a while. Now they are only charging $20? I only see a couple deer and only shoot one. Is this an either sex tag too? Interesting to see but I have a feeling I'm reading this wrong. If they were smart they would do this, when my dad and I hunt Michigan for gun season we spend well over a $1000 on gas, meals, hotels, etc. It's a good way to bring in out of state hunters to spend $$$.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 PM
JW
Super Moderator

No your base license you must buy now is $151.00 for a Non-res. All the 151 fee is a small game license. The state now makes you by that.
Now to hunt a buck it will cost you an additional 20.00 and to hunt a doe it will cost you an additional 20.00 and if you want the second buck it will cost you an additional 170.
All that is added to the original $151.00.

So if you just hunt deer and say a buck only the cost is $151 + $20.00 (kill permit) = $171.00 compared the $138.00 last yr. Modest increase there for deer but for turkey I am taking a whopping increase.

At the bottom of my post I did attach the price table as taken from the MI web site.
Look for the excel file as I have both hunting and fishing

Last edited by JW; 01-15-2014 at 06:45 PM.