Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Everyone who has hunted in Illinois longer than 10 years. A MUST read! >

Everyone who has hunted in Illinois longer than 10 years. A MUST read!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Everyone who has hunted in Illinois longer than 10 years. A MUST read!

Old 03-27-2014, 07:10 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

In my opinion Illinois should look to Iowa for some tips on managing Our Deer herd. Anymore, Illinois just sells our Deer herd to the highest bidder, whether that be outfitters/non-residents or the insurance companies. I would like to see much tighter control on the number of non-resident permits available, and the frequency that non-residents can get permits. Say, no more than every third or every other year. Also, i would like to see the IDNR bring back in-person check stations. I think there are way more deer being killed and never accounted for than IDNR is willing to admit because they basically use the honor system with the call in checking. The worst thing to ever happen to Deer hunting in Illinois was gaining the reputation of having monster bucks behind every tree. Throw in our previous Governor's penchant for raping the IDNR budget to buy votes in Chicago and it is easy to see why Deer hunting is in the toilet here in Illinois. Personally, I don't expect things to get better here any time soon.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:41 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

So much of bad management happens in all our states, when insurance companies get involved, they lobby the hell out of the lawmakers for higher kills. Rich
Old 03-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RWK
So much of bad management happens in all our states, when insurance companies get involved, they lobby the hell out of the lawmakers for higher kills. Rich
Rich hit it on the head. People need to realize this is what is happening to our deer herd. It's all about money and in the last 10 years the insurance companies have been outbidding for our deer herd. It's one of the great tricks the Illinois Government has pulled by not making people aware this is how it is working.