Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Michigan DNR citation >

Michigan DNR citation

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Michigan DNR citation

Old 12-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong in paying a fine but getting a misdemeanor is ridiculous. DNR tried something similar on me. I got a lawyer and payed a fine, no misdemeanor. I cost me $900 dollars but having a record for that is stupid. DUI is a misdemeanor, a potentialy dangerous crime. A hunter who didn't do the process flawlessly shouldn't get the same charge. You had a hunting license I assume.

Last edited by d80hunter; 12-26-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with d80. It was a simple mistake and you got caught, it just stinks. I remember getting a minor in possession of alcohol in college 16 years ago. I was pissed that night and the next day but realized that things like this happen, I paid my fine and never really thought about it again. I got busted, it was my fault and I realized that. Seems like you understand that. The misdemeanor part is a little ridiculous since you had a license and hadn't transported it anywhere yet. Someone came on here a year or two ago and said it wasn't his fault that he shot a doe, drove it home and quartered it and forgot to tag it. This is a whole different situation and it seems like you just made an honest mistake and tried to wait to put the tag on until you drug out the deer.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

The Law is there for a reason! You got caught, Man up and pay up!
Old 01-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Below is the current requirement for tagging that I copied/pasted from the DNR website.

Tagging Big Game
Immediately after killing a deer, bear, wolf, elk or turkey, you must validate your
kill tag and fasten it to the antler, lower jaw or lower leg in such a manner that the
tag remains securely attached to the animal.
I know this is muddying the waters somewhat BUT, it seems to me that the OP was trying to avoid having a tag fall off the animal in the dragging process and to avoid having the emboldened part occur and thus potentially lose his tag. I realize it's splitting hairs but I have to wonder if that ever happens and what does the warden do then? If the tag falls off the animal (or is inadvertently ripped off during the dragging process), then it must not have been "securely attached" right?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:27 AM
Spike

Apologies for the long delay in responding, here is the outcome. I had planned on a scheduled visit to the Prosecuting Attorney, but as luck would have it, I was called in for work that week due to an ice storm. Bottom line, I paid the fine, could not make the appointment. Basically have to wait five years to clear the misdemeanor off my record.
Other than griping, nothing else to be done. thank you for the many replies.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's too bad. I think the change in the law from what it used to be sucks and there is no reason for the change as long as the tag is immediately validated by notching out the required parts and then keeping it in possession until it is at your vehicle or camp if you're hunting where you aren't using a vehicle. Citing people for stuff like that will only leave a bad taste in their mouth for common sense law enforcement. The one thing that people have stated on here that is incorrect is that any time a ticket is issued it's a misdemeanor violation at a minimum in the statutes and a possible felony if it's a serious violation. Saying he should have just received a ticket and not have a misdemeanor on his record is impossible because the ticket has to cite a law that is broken and it's either a misdemeanor or felony citation depending on the violation..
Old 03-07-2014, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
That's too bad. I think the change in the law from what it used to be sucks and there is no reason for the change as long as the tag is immediately validated by notching out the required parts and then keeping it in possession until it is at your vehicle or camp if you're hunting where you aren't using a vehicle. Citing people for stuff like that will only leave a bad taste in their mouth for common sense law enforcement. The one thing that people have stated on here that is incorrect is that any time a ticket is issued it's a misdemeanor violation at a minimum in the statutes and a possible felony if it's a serious violation. Saying he should have just received a ticket and not have a misdemeanor on his record is impossible because the ticket has to cite a law that is broken and it's either a misdemeanor or felony citation depending on the violation..
Our game laws could use a little tweaking.

ATB
Old 03-07-2014, 05:55 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Wow I hunt Michigan also and not use the sticky back of my turkey tag. Then why provide it?

JW
Old 03-07-2014, 05:58 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

I think what happened was ridiculous - harassment rather than serving the public. The logic does not hold water - an attached tag could easily be untied and used again in the another day once the deer was taken home. The important element here was that it was validated, thus rendered unusable should you go out again and it was the only tag you had left. Should have been a warning or at most a nominal fine with advice to bring wire along for firmly attaching the tag next time. The warden should focus on the real poachers rather than splitting hairs and putting the OP through the wringer on this. This shows a tremendous failure of the MI dnr it trying to secure public trust and support.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MZS
I think what happened was ridiculous - harassment rather than serving the public. The logic does not hold water - an attached tag could easily be untied and used again in the another day once the deer was taken home. The important element here was that it was validated, thus rendered unusable should you go out again and it was the only tag you had left. Should have been a warning or at most a nominal fine with advice to bring wire along for firmly attaching the tag next time. The warden should focus on the real poachers rather than splitting hairs and putting the OP through the wringer on this. This shows a tremendous failure of the MI dnr it trying to secure public trust and support.
***As a retired state of MI employee with over 30 years in LE experience with the MI Dept. of Ag who tried to use common sense while enforcing over 130 different laws and regulations my job was responsible for, I couldn't have said it any better than that Sir!!! To the best of my knowledge this change in the law has never been publicized to the general public who have to abide by it and it really ticks me off that I've been violating it unintentionally every Spring and Fall since whenever it was changed. I could just as easily been the OP in this thread and I can guarantee if that had been the case there would have been some heads rolling up the ladder at the main DNR Offices on it! There was absolutely no reason for anything other than a verbal warning IF what the OP stated is exactly the true facts in the case and that is only known by that individual and the citing Officer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.