Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:45 AM
Spike

Default newbie

let me introduce myself. my name is Brian I'm originally from Michigan but once I graduated high school I joined the navy.been in for 20 years. I started hunting in 07 down in SC and have had the fever ever since.I mainly hunt deer and hogs. I mostly rifle hunt and know IL is mainly archery.unfortunately IL doesn't allow crossbows for everybody as I just bought a new xbow.so I know I will have to buy a bow.
now the present I'm currently living in Va and we'll be transferring to Great Lakes(Waukegan area) for my last duty station before retirement.
in the spring..
im trying to get ahead of the game for next year. here are my questions

what type of license will I need to hunt public land

where is any public land near where I will be

how hard is it to get picked for lottery for gun season

are there processors in the area as well.

any reputable archery in the area as well

thanks for the assistants fellas and good luck this season...
Old 10-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

The archery permit on public land is easy,alot of them are just sign in and go. Some you will need a permit but they are cheap if not free. The gun permit for the lottery for public is not that hard back when I hunted public I drew 3 out of 5 years. Down south the national forest is just a county permit and you can hunt. The bow tag is good in all counties in Illinois but gun is county specific. There are plenty of public hunting places around ,most will be south and south west of Chicago. GO TO IDNR web site and you can find out about all of them. Gun permits need to be applied for in the spring bow tags are OVC. Don't know about archery shot up by you but there is a great one in shorewood about 40 min south of you called strickly fishing and archery. Good luck !!! and the last 1/2 of archery season it think after dec1 anyone can shoot a crossbow..