Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Moving to Chicago, IL from SC >

Moving to Chicago, IL from SC

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Moving to Chicago, IL from SC

Old 06-25-2013, 06:35 AM
Spike

Default Moving to Chicago, IL from SC

Just graduated and I took a job in the suburbs of Chicago. I am a huge bowhunter and am moving 1000 miles away from all friends and family. I'm looking for advice for a first time hunter in Illinois, hunt clubs, local bow shops, and anything hunting related.

Where do I start!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Just sent you a PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

BIG mistake moving there if you like to hunt and Zim will probably clue you in on Illinois like no other can!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Spike

Haha well I go where the jobs and the money are my friend! I'm not afraid to do some driving on the weekends though!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Zim knows his stuff and I'd be happy to help as well. I've talked to Zim on this website and I think we hunt similar spots, he hunts a little bit more public than I do but I do hunt a decent amount of public land. I live in downtown Chicago and still find public land to hunt within an hour of the city. I hunt mainly deer and Pheasants and would be happy to point you in the right direction. There are places to hunt and some big deer, you just have to put in the leg work and do your research. Unfortunately if you shotgun deer hunt the drawing for public land is done and there isn't much left but for bowhunting you still have plenty of time. The good thing is we do have some GIANT bucks in this state. There are 200 inch deer in this state, you just have to work for them! The bow shop I use is about 35 miles south of Chicago, there are closer ones but I really the way this one operates with my Mathews. There is a little known Archery Range on the Lake Front that is very cheap. You get a key to it and can go shoot whenever you like. Let me know if you need help with anything and I'd be happy to give my .02. Good Luck!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

What part of the suburbs are you moving to? Makes a difference in terms of what's reasonably accessible. I'm on the far, far west side --just out into the country a bit actually -- and there's some half-way decent public land within reasonable driving distance.

If you hunt shotgun, first season tags are pretty much gone, but there are some second season left, currently they are taking applications for the 2nd lottery, deadline is 6/30.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Oops -- duplicate post.

Last edited by Murdy; 06-26-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:26 AM
Spike

@Murdy: I have to iron out where exactly I'm living but my office is in Lake Zurich which is next to Palatine>?

@fastetti: Zim's been really helpful already. It's encouraging to hear that while you live in the city you are still able to do some good hunting. I know I'm moving for work but I want to be able to play (hunt) and retain some of my lifestyle! I won't have an IL mailing address as I have a free place to stay for a month or two until I find roommates and a suitable place for my dog and myself. I think this might end up screwing me over in any draw hunts for this year?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

I'm guessing you haven't established Illinois residency yet? Illinois hits NR's pretty hard, archery permit is $400+, antlerless tags are cheap though. If you are paying out-of-state rates anyway, you're only 45 minutes to the Wisconsin border from Lake Zurich.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry for that first post, but what a lot of us consider hunting and what a lot of you folks in and near Chicago do is a lot different, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.