Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Moving to Chicago, IL from SC >

Moving to Chicago, IL from SC

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Moving to Chicago, IL from SC

Old 06-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

Your first observation was a fair one, TG. Not only are there a lot of people around here, Illinois is one of the worst states for having public land available. But there's still some hunting I consider worthwhile.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Spike

I've lived in Chicago all my life. This crooked city and county sucks. The best public lands imo are the ones south of I-80. I'm not a fan of the ones near the city and surrounding suburbs. If you go public, be prepared to put in some work. There is a 25 yard archery range/shop in Oak Park and a really good one out west near aurora, at a park district. I don't do deer shotgun, since I like the longer bow seasons.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Verdantis, I'll tell you like it is. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and after college I moved back into the city and have been living in a few areas in downtown Chicago for 11 years now. The politics in Chicago are horrible, we have a horrible Mayor, Governor and I'm not too fond of our Chief of Police.

That being said, there are a lot of jobs here and always ways to advance your career with so many companies, especially Fortune 500 companies. Also, the social life of Chicago is great, the women are far above average and from May to November, there is no greater city to live in. The summer festivals, sports and the lake front, it doesn't get much better for someone young and single. Trust me, I worked hard and played hard in my 20's.

A lot of people will say that the hunting isn't great around Chicago but that has to be expected living in the third biggest city in the country. There are some great places to hunt. Bird hunting, there are a few good spots. It is put and take hunting but for a $45 permit you can limit out with four pheasants if you have a good dog. I usually hunt without a dog and get a two bird permit. I have gotten my two birds many times hunting without a dog but also many days with just one bird. Its no South Dakota, but again, your close to a huge city. Within an hour drive from downtown you can hit these put and take spots.

Deer hunting does get a little interesting. The public land does get hit hard but with a bow you can get some good hunting. TG was somewhat right. I'd say 50% of bowhunters don't have a clue what they are doing. They find a trail and sit in a tree and thats it. 40% do have a clue what they are doing but aren't considered great hunters. There are 10% that know what they are doing and get shots at 130" bucks every year on land within an hour of Chicago. You just have to put in the work and think outside the box. You hear everyone say, "Go farther and deeper than everyone else" which is correct sometimes but I know guys that have killed bucks within 200 yards of parking lots at these heavily hunted areas. They just do their research and look at Topos, wind roses and such.

Good luck and if you need advice on anything with hunting spots or even the areas to live around Chicago, PM me and I'll give you my opinion. Good Luck!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

I would encourage you to live in Wisconsin if you are in Palentine. This way you are in a much better state when it comes to hunting public land. Not that I care, but if you are from SC. you will hate Chicago. It is corrupt as can be, especially politics. Much like politics in central America. Taxes, gas, housing is very high. You most likely will hate Illinois. If you stay in Illinois, go north west. At least housing is cheaper.

Last edited by ihookem1; 07-12-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

One thing to take into consideration is the half price deal Wisconsin is running for first time hunters of a species. If you want to try the public land up there you would pay only half the regular NR tag fee.

Their turkey hunting opportunities blow away Illinois. And you can buy all the late season tags you want in the best areas. Not so for IL.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dig deep my friend.....very deep!!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ihookem1
I would encourage you to live in Wisconsin if you are in Palentine. This way you are in a much better state when it comes to hunting public land. Not that I care, but if you are from SC. you will hate Chicago. It is corrupt as can be, especially politics. Much like politics in central America. Taxes, gas, housing is very high. You most likely will hate Illinois. If you stay in Illinois, go north west. At least housing is cheaper.
So many things wrong with this statement its not even worth the argument.......

I will say that living where you are, A Wisconsin tag is a good idea. There is public land right across the border that might be closer for you, plus the non-resident tags in WI are fairly inexpensive compared to most other surrounding state. Also, I got your IM, when I have a second I'll write you back.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

Fastetti is right, Chicago has a lot to offer; nearby hunting opportunity is not at the top of the list. When I was younger (and single), I had considered moving into the city. It's true things are more expensive, but better wages offset that. I've lived in multiple areas in both Wisconsin and Illinois, and they all have their plusses and minuses.
Anyways, as has been pointed out, there is some decent hunting nearby, and if you drive a little ways (hour or two), there are some good opportunities. (and if you fish, you will be real close to the Great Lakes).
Old 07-24-2013, 12:24 AM
Bartender

Head right up highway 12 and turn right on wilmot rd in Fox Lake and hunt the chain o lakes state park.
Originally Posted by Verdantis
@Murdy: I have to iron out where exactly I'm living but my office is in Lake Zurich which is next to Palatine>?

@fastetti: Zim's been really helpful already. It's encouraging to hear that while you live in the city you are still able to do some good hunting. I know I'm moving for work but I want to be able to play (hunt) and retain some of my lifestyle! I won't have an IL mailing address as I have a free place to stay for a month or two until I find roommates and a suitable place for my dog and myself. I think this might end up screwing me over in any draw hunts for this year?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Verdantis
Just graduated and I took a job in the suburbs of Chicago. I am a huge bowhunter and am moving 1000 miles away from all friends and family. I'm looking for advice for a first time hunter in Illinois, hunt clubs, local bow shops, and anything hunting related.

Where do I start!
start by not moving to this ghetto libtard city..wisconsin is sooo much better!!!!