Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Can ya give me the skinny on Kansas hunting? >

Can ya give me the skinny on Kansas hunting?

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Can ya give me the skinny on Kansas hunting?

Old 09-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Can ya give me the skinny on Kansas hunting?

I might be coming up to Kansas for Thanksgiving weekend to spend the holiday with family. None of them hunt, but I' d love to get the chance while I' m there. They live in Wichita, so I' d like to stay fairly close to that end of the state, within 80 miles or so.

Can anybody fill me in on what is open at that time? I' d imagine deer is open, but with what type of artillery? Bows, guns, slingshots? How' s the public land? Is it worth giving it a try for a weekend hunt? I' d probably be able to do the hunt on Friday and Saturday, since we' d have to head back to Vegas on Monday. Maybe I' ll finally get to figure out what all of you are talking about with this whitetail hunting.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can ya give me the skinny on Kansas hunting?

Drive a little farther and I will put you in my stand. Archery is open over Thanksgiving here.

You might want to check on the Kansas DNR page. They might tell you where the state parks are and such.

Good luck if you do go though. Whitetails are a little different than the big critters you are used to.

Oh yeah, if they are like IL, Non residents are first come first serve with limited number of licenses.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Artic, you will be able to buy a small game license, around $71.50, and then you could buy upto 4 doe only tags, for $11 a piece. I' d have to do some checking on public lands around there. Plus, I' ll have to double check that you can buy the doe tags in that area, but I beleive you can. It will still be archery season then too. The problem that you may run into on public land is the upland bird hunters. Also, if your wanting to antee up some big bucks, look at E-bay and bid on a state wide any deer tag, which may also get you on some private land. They go from about $1000 up. Other wise, you could take your shotgun and hunt upland birds.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanksgiving is usually the best times for deer-hunting for me. The rut is going good and only archery for deer is open. I' m on the opposite side of the state that you are ABM, do you have a tag or anything?
Old 09-24-2003, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input. No, I don' t have a tag, we just started talking about going to Wichita for Thanksgiving, so I wasn' t aware until now that we might be headed that way. If I do get the chance, it would have to be OTC.

I don' t think the wife is going to go for the extra few hundred miles to drive to Illernois so I can sit in a tree Mitch. At least that' s how she sees it.

Also, if I was going to spend a grand on a deer tag, I' d be putting in a lot more time to hunt them. Man, it' s only costing me about $700 for my Colorado elk hunt next month, tags and travel included. Can' t see dropping a G on a little old whitetail.

My wife started talking about heading to Texas in July, but changed her mind. It wouldn' t surprise me if she did the same with this.[&:] She always keeps me on my toes. I just don' t want to pass up an opportunity if we head east.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looked into it a little further tonight, and there are some big public lands not far from Wichita. You can call the KDWP (mian office) at (620)672-5911 to get more info on them. And you can buy upto 4 doe(game tags) over the counter, also have to buy the small game tag which is $71.50. The other thing is that the fall turkey season will be open.