Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois Sheds

Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Illinois Sheds

Well as season comes to a close shed hunting is the only thing on our mind! Last night we saw a couple half racks bucks who have already shed one side but have not been looking yet. Has anyone had any luck or had a chance to look yet?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 AM
Spike

Illinois...found first shed on Sunday 1/28/13. Left and Right 90 ft. apart in timber. First time I have ever found match pair in one day. Majority of large bucks still holdin as of last night 1/29...
Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found one during the antlerless season on January 19th I believe. A big 3 point that we had been watching all year. Won't be able to make it out again until March but it was a nice bonus since I wasn't able to get a deer that weekend.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iv had some friends finding them but no luck here yet there is still a good percentage holding. Do not forget to check water sources while you are out there for the deer that died from EHD!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Well we have found a couple sheds but after checking trailcameras most of them are still holding around here in Central Illinois. Although we are finding a lot of bucks that died earlier this year from EHD, its a shame we lost a lot of great deer this year. Here is a recent find.
Attached Thumbnails Illinois Sheds-jakebuck2.jpg  
Old 02-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear about the EHD Team Radical. I think it varied county to county, even farm to farm. From everything I saw we didn't get hit with it or at least too hard where I hunt in Fulton County. Walked the creeks in January and didn't find anything. Every buck we had on camera from May and June was either still around or shot come November. Hopefully we wont have an outbreak again this summer. I think we got lucky because we have a few creeks and wells so our water sources were still there and spread out. That buck sure is a nice one, could he have been shot in hunting season?

Also, the shed I mentioned in C. Illinois so they are starting to fall. I'll get out in about a month here and do some more shed hunting.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Spike

Question downstate sheds

...five total so far this winter. Timber pair from late january and 3 in grassy waterways since... Had been shut out for last couple weeks but finally found nice righty with crab claw yesterday afternoon. Camera has been on the blink, but did record some pictures of bucks holding 2/25/13. I look a few afternoons a week this time of year (usually on 4-wheeler). Prefer not to scent up or spook the area, but if I dont shed poachers will get their first. How do other successful shed getters feel about looking "too often"?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try and wait as long as I can usually to not bump the deer out of the area and I am still running cameras to see what bucks have dropped and which havent. But like singletusk said it gets tempting and is hard if you wait to long someone else will be walking your property before you do.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Found a small matching set of a 1 1/2 year old buck. Just luck though. Walking up a four wheeler trail to check a water spring. The dog started to play with something and it was the right side and had 3 points. We went and looked for the other side the next day and the dog dug under the snow for the other side and that had 2 points. They laid on the ground about 6' apart. Nothing big but still fun to find.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found 2 sheds during the late shotgun season about 15 yards apart, thought they where a match from a nice 8, but they where both from the same side. First time we ever found sheds that early, stressed frrom the drought most likely...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.