Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Group Tells Hunters To Boycott Wisconsin Deer Season >

Group Tells Hunters To Boycott Wisconsin Deer Season

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Old 09-18-2003, 08:45 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default Group Tells Hunters To Boycott Wisconsin Deer Season

A coalition of hunters, landowners and wildlife enthusiasts urged a boycott of Wisconsin' s deer season this fall in protest of a decision by the state' s Department of Natural Resources (DNR) to ban baiting and feeding in 22 state counties.

The DNR' s Natural Resources Board unanimously approved the baiting prohibition last week in the counties that state wildlife officials fear are most susceptible to the spread of chronic wasting disease (CWD) and bovine tuberculosis.

The five groups involved in influencing the boycott say it would be rescinded if the DNR repeals the ban before Wisconsin' s firearms deer season starts November 22. The ban is scheduled to go into effect this week.

DNR officials say they will not dignify the charge with a response. They note the ban is based on the best scientific research available that proves baiting and feeding congregates deer and increases the spread of diseases.

Wisconsin' s baiting and feeding ban covers any county within 10 miles of the discovery of an animal with CWD or bovine tuberculosis.

Now I am no real fan of our DNR, but this seems a little silly.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:13 PM

Default RE: Group Tells Hunters To Boycott Wisconsin Deer Season

Silly is right ! Is there any indication if the five groups are comprised of soured sportsmen or are the anti-hunters?
This is the first that I' ve heard of this but it seems that they will gain little support from hunters.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:48 AM

silly is right. of all the goofy decisions the wdnr has made over the years, boycotting hunting because of a baiting ban is a kind of weird.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Different people get worked up over different things, so I can imagine that there are people out there who are goofy enough to boycott hunting b/c of this ban. Everyone always seems to know better than someone else, and when they start spreading their unfounded thoughts and opinoins off as truth, other uneducated people tend to flock to their side and you get situations like this.

Personally, I think it' s ridiculous.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:43 AM
nub

This is the same fool who called for a ban a couple months back. Todd something or other. Seems he lives in or around the no bait zone and he' s pissy cause his wife or some buddies can' t kill a deer without bait. There was a long thread a while back in the deerhunting forum. He actually registered a few replies. I' m not about to waste my time doing a search for it tho. Silly isn' t quite the word I' d use to discribe his hunting ban.[:' (]
Old 09-19-2003, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

LOL!!!!!!

I can' t imagine a hunter BOYCOTTING the season. Give me a break.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

silly is an understatment, just plain stupid and even a little childish if you ask me. Why do you need bait to kill a deer? isn' t that what corn fields are for? My god I can' t imagine boycotting deer season for somthing as stupid as this. If anyone can' t kill a deer without bait they' re not much of a hunter. Or they don' t have the pateince to sit in a tree or on a trial and wait that' s not a hunter. I' m not gonna write any more I' ll get myself in trouble. You get that point.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

They should boycott.

Less hunting pressure for the rest of us.

Happy hunting
Dan
Old 09-19-2003, 03:06 PM

Baiting is not allowed here and I think silly is not strong enough wording for the way they are reacting.[>:]
Old 09-19-2003, 10:16 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Like I said, I have been as critical as can be about the DNR' s mismanagement of the deer hunt, CWD, etc. Also, of all the so-called " management tools" to control the spread of CWD, it seems to me that a ban on baiting ion the CWD zone is one of the least impositions you could have. That by the way is one of the very reasons I thought it was stupid for the DNR to allow so-called " sharpshoorters" to nhunt over bait in the CWD zone, while telling everyone else they couldn' t put bait out. But what does a boycott accomplish? I don' t get that.

Especially considering that according to news reports, they were " sending back hunting licenses" ; in other words, they already bought them, paid good money, and now were " sending them back" . Ain' t like they would get a refund, is it?

Quick Reply: Group Tells Hunters To Boycott Wisconsin Deer Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.