HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   How was your WI deer hunt? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/375765-how-your-wi-deer-hunt.html)

mr.mc54 11-26-2012 07:52 AM

How was your WI deer hunt?

Well we saw alot more deer even with less than ideal conditions here in N/W WI. I know it varries greatly as to where you hunt, so I was just wondering how others did. We took some yearlings this year as the antler less seems to out number the bucks. We took seven antlerless and one nice Buck with eight hunters in our group, as there were alot of antlerless on trail cams and our scouting. I personally saw thirteen Does and two bucks in five days of hunting. Meat in the freezer!:s4:

WrackMaster 11-26-2012 06:01 PM

We saw a few more than in the last 5-6 years. I saw 2 small bucks and about 20 does. Nephew shot his 1st deer, a small 7 pointer. No other deer were taken by the 6 of us on the 430 acres we hunt in LaCrosse cty. Neighbors shot a few, but less than normal.

remdog64 11-27-2012 03:18 AM

I hunted seven of the nine day season seeing 10 deer the first two days and then on Wednesday when it hit 50 to 60 degree the deer movement was at night. Friday things picked up when a cold front moved in. I shot a 150 inch 12 pointer that evening. All in all it was a good season.

I was hunting Spring Green area.

Schobs 11-27-2012 07:44 AM

We had a pretty lousy season hunting in northern Langlade county. 10 guys in camp and we only shot 2 yearling bucks. I personally hunted 6 out of 10 days and only saw 2 deer, both about 10 minutes after shooting hours. About half the guys in our camp didn't even see a deer. Buck pot at work was won by a fork, the only deer shot out of 10 or 12 people in the pool. Glad I got a couple does with my bow earlier this year.

Damon 11-27-2012 04:21 PM

I sat from 10/11 thru 11/11, everyday ,all day with the exception fo an hour er so for lunch and I ended up with the coolest Maple Tree Bark engraving on my back that one could ever get! Super slow, think I was to late (?) , not sure but I seen no signs of chasing etc, that the rut would normally show. I had seen some nice new scrapes and rubs within the first 3 days so I thought, "here we go" but it amounted to nothing. Had Doe with the young uns, untypical for rut, the whole time, so it was like I never had rut happen. Any thoughts on when we may see the next rut? I would almost think it would be pretty quick judging on what my bid's seen and killed in a 50mile radius.

WrackMaster 11-27-2012 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by remdog64 (Post 4009183)
I hunted seven of the nine day season seeing 10 deer the first two days and then on Wednesday we hit 50 to 60 degree days the deer movement was at night. Friday things picked up with a cold front coming in I shot a 150 inch 12 pointer. All in all it saw a good season.

I was hunting Spring Green area.

Congrats on the 12 point! Any pics?

remdog64 11-28-2012 03:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a before and after picture of the 12 pointer I shot near Spring Green.

mr.mc54 11-28-2012 12:39 PM

I heard that the northern part of the state had low numbers. We had a lul when it was warm for a few days but the deer moved better when it got cooler. Overall it wasn't the best year temp wise as alot of deer spoiled because hunters let them hang instead of getting them in for processing. Processors also refused alot of deer that were spoiled. WHAT A SHAME!

WrackMaster 11-28-2012 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by remdog64 (Post 4009700)
Here's a before and after picture of the 12 pointer I shot near Spring Green.

That is a dandy, sir!
Congrats!

delta66 11-29-2012 07:37 AM

I hunted 7 of the 9 days and only saw 13 deer on our family farm. Out of frustration I shot an 8 pointer that was barely outside the ears. I am not convinced that the deer population is as high as they saw it is. The last two years have been the worst of my 16seasons as far as seeing deer.