Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Blue Tongue (EHD) Taking its toll on East Central Illinois deer herd... >

Blue Tongue (EHD) Taking its toll on East Central Illinois deer herd...

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Blue Tongue (EHD) Taking its toll on East Central Illinois deer herd...

Old 10-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Blue Tongue (EHD) Taking its toll on East Central Illinois deer herd...

I was taken back at the amount of deer that are succumbing to blue tongue this year.. Over the past weekend we have found 1, 5-year 9 point and a 2 year old 8-point dead in a creek bottom.. The 9 point was on our hit list.... That makes a total of 11 deer found dead between our small group of hunting buddies.... 2 towns to the west a farmer reported a total of 60 deer found this year... Scary to think what its doing to the deer herd. I'm scared to see what the rest of the year has in store, because we haven't been looking, these are just the few we came across going to our tree-stands.......
Once gun season comes around we'll get better idea of how bad we really got hit... (Once more people enter the woods and come across carcases'..) Game warden down the street says this is the worst he has seen in his career... SUCKS!
Old 10-25-2012, 03:21 AM
Spike

been lucky in northwest Illinois. I haven't see one or heard of anyone finding anything. The farm I hunt has two creeks and a pond.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by whitetailcrazy
I was taken back at the amount of deer that are succumbing to blue tongue this year.. Over the past weekend we have found 1, 5-year 9 point and a 2 year old 8-point dead in a creek bottom.. The 9 point was on our hit list.... That makes a total of 11 deer found dead between our small group of hunting buddies.... 2 towns to the west a farmer reported a total of 60 deer found this year... Scary to think what its doing to the deer herd. I'm scared to see what the rest of the year has in store, because we haven't been looking, these are just the few we came across going to our tree-stands.......
Once gun season comes around we'll get better idea of how bad we really got hit... (Once more people enter the woods and come across carcases'..) Game warden down the street says this is the worst he has seen in his career... SUCKS!
What county are you hunting ?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Clark County
Old 10-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Here is a IDNR map of where EHD found..
http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/news/Doc...tionsept30.pdf
Old 10-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

All the deer that have been infected should be done by now and there should be no new cases since most of us have had a frost/freeze.

The more I look at that map, the less I believe it. I've heard single farms with 50 deer found dead so I doudt that farm has all the deer for the county. I think that it really varies farm to farm. I've head some areas got hit really bad but two miles away nothing. Lets hope its less severe than we think......
Old 10-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

We also in Nebraska have had a big loss from EHD. I have a farm in northest Ne and looks like 50% have died from it. One neighbor found 44 dead on just 40 acres along a creek.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Just got back to PA after a week long hunt in Jasper County. Found 5 carcasses within 20 yards of each other on a creek bank while trying to recover another hunters deer. 5 in 20 yards...I would hate to see how bad it really was.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default We'll get a better feel for how bad it was this weekend.

With the onslaught of people entering the woods with the coming of Firearm Season this weekend, we will have a better idea of how bad it hit our area.. Taxidermists in the area say the numbers are way down....
Sucks because I fear it will take a 3-4 years to recover from this... this epidemic truely hurt us!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ehd

10,400 dead deer were reported in Michigan by 22 oct 2012. So, we imagine the number will increase as rifle hunters take to the field.

ATB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.