Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Blue Tongue (EHD) Taking its toll on East Central Illinois deer herd... >

Blue Tongue (EHD) Taking its toll on East Central Illinois deer herd...

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Blue Tongue (EHD) Taking its toll on East Central Illinois deer herd...

Old 11-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
10,400 dead deer were reported in Michigan by 22 oct 2012. So, we imagine the number will increase as rifle hunters take to the field.

ATB
I wonder if this late in the year they won't even bother. Most deer dead from EHD are probably pretty much eaten up by now and some will be mistaken for lost deer to bowhunters as well. We should just be glad its over this year and hope for a semi-mild weather.

The fawns by us where I hunt in Central Illinois are the biggest ive ever seen this year. The drought didn't help them grow this summer but wow did they catch up fast. It's almost tough to tell does from fawns right now. Bigger than I've ever seen in November.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

I was told to hope for a hard winter, meaning deep freeze to kill off some of the midges... Then a relatively mild summer.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Northeast Indiana was hit pretty bad as well. The boys out on the farm said they came across 30 dead deer over the year. Opening day of gun season was eerily quiet. The take reported @ the check-in station was terribly low as well.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:35 AM
Spike

We got hit hard in Montgomery County. I didn't have the heart to go out and look for them. I found 3 while checking on a stand of Switchgrass next to a creek in early September. I went from 250-300 trail camera pictures a run to 25-30. Hard to get the drive to even go out and hunt this year when you know there isn't much around. I've hunted a few times and seen deer every sit. Nothing like it's been in past years, but luckily none of the neighbors have killed deer yet this year. I've been trying to explain to them why they aren't seeing deer and that it would be best to not shoot anything, but they will given the opportunity.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ILhunter84
We got hit hard in Montgomery County. I didn't have the heart to go out and look for them. I found 3 while checking on a stand of Switchgrass next to a creek in early September. I went from 250-300 trail camera pictures a run to 25-30. Hard to get the drive to even go out and hunt this year when you know there isn't much around. I've hunted a few times and seen deer every sit. Nothing like it's been in past years, but luckily none of the neighbors have killed deer yet this year. I've been trying to explain to them why they aren't seeing deer and that it would be best to not shoot anything, but they will given the opportunity.
I couldn't agree with you more!! I been out 10 days, about 90 hours on stand so far and have only seen 1 shooter.. Really shocked at how few deer I've seen this year. Extremely disappointed. I think it will take a few years to recover from this.