Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Looking for a Hunting Lease within 2 hours of Chicago >

Looking for a Hunting Lease within 2 hours of Chicago

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Looking for a Hunting Lease within 2 hours of Chicago

Old 08-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Spike

Default Looking for a Hunting Lease within 2 hours of Chicago

Recently relocated to the Chicago area from Kentucky. I'm having a tough time getting out to scout for locations to waterfowl and deer hunt this year.

I swore I would never do it, but I'm willing to lease a piece of property to hunt this year, or share in a lease or hunt club. I have a few calls into a couple of people that might work out, but thought I would post here to to run down some other leads. Would want access to goose, duck and bow deer hunting for me and my 2 teenage sons. Willing to enter into long-term lease. Experienced, respectful and good stewards of the land.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

Within 2 hours of Chicago is tough, unless you mean 2 hours from the edge of Chicagoland, as it takes close to an hour to get out of down town. I think the closst areas where you are going to find leasable property is in the Illinois River valley (Bureau County maybe), which is probably over 2. There's a website that pairs landowners with hunters: http://accessil.org/ . I don't know if it's any good. I am primarily a public land hunter, and it's okay. You might want to consider southern Wisconsin as well (way more public land, but not sure about leasing). Good Luck.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Spike

Thanks. I am about an hour NW of Chicago proper. I'll look into Wisconsin too.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Murdy has you going in the right direction. Unfortunately, a lease within a couple hours of Chicago is pretty expensive. There are a few public spots around Chicago but they get hit hard. Its not impossible to get a deer what you'll have to do your scouting and homework.

The farther North in Wisconsin you go or the farther south you go in Illinois it gets a little easier. Your best bet would be weekend trips down to Shawnee National Forest or some of the larger chunks of land in Central Wisconsin. Good Luck, there are spots out there, just need some luck and do a bit of homework!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

Check the Wisconsin DNR site, there's a fair amount of public land just across the border from Rockford that could get you going until you get that lease. Should be a reasonable drive from where you are at.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:15 AM
Spike

Thanks all. Agreed that doing your homework is the way to go, but I've not been able to log much windshield time yet so your input is appreciated.