Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

iowa hunting

Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default iowa hunting

Anyone here from Iowa? Looking to come out and bowhunt in 2013 and am starting to do some homework now. If anyone has info on some good public land on the eastern side of the state please pm me. Looking to come out and do some scouting in late February early March.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

Have you been applying for a tag? If you don't have preferance points it will be 2-3 years, depending on your weapon
Old 06-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

They have a secret early draw result portal available only to applicants with 4+ points. I checked and found I had drawn a zone 5 bow tag! Pounded as many public parcels I could in 4 days and have my GPS full of trees waiting for me. Used to hunt it back in the 90's so had a lot of ground already eliminated.

The thing I am most excited about is the complete extirpation of the pheasant population there. The locals used to beat down every inch of public grass with dogs and shotguns before prime rut..............then run to their private for their own deer hunting! No more! No birds = no bird hunters polluting everything in sight! In 4 days I heard nor saw one pheasant. Everyone I met while scouting confirmed this.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PY Antlers
Have you been applying for a tag? If you don't have preferance points it will be 2-3 years, depending on your weapon
Points have been established I have 2 now and will apply next year with 3.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:52 AM
Typical Buck

I'm from Iowa, I don't know much about the eastern part of the state but I'm going to the University of Iowa next year and have been looking at trying the hawkeye wildlife management area near Oxford, Iowa. Just an idea for you. I won't be hunting it for a couple of years still because I can bring my bow to my dorm but let me know if you try it.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt the northeast corner of the state and the public ground gets pounded hard by non-locals and poachers alike. I wish you luck tho...
Old 07-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iayotehunter
I'm from Iowa, I don't know much about the eastern part of the state but I'm going to the University of Iowa next year and have been looking at trying the hawkeye wildlife management area near Oxford, Iowa. Just an idea for you. I won't be hunting it for a couple of years still because I can bring my bow to my dorm but let me know if you try it.
Did you mean "Can" or "Can't" because most universities have ways that you can still hunt even if you live in the dorms. When I lived in the Dorms at Southern Illinois I was worried I wouldn't be able to hunt since I know they wouldn't let me keep my gun in the dorm. I called the Campus police and sure enough at the campus police department they have a student firearm lock up where they assign you a locker to put your bow/firearm in and you can access the locker whenever you want. Most schools in the midwest have this so I'd give the campus police department a call and they should at least point you in the direction of how to store your weapon while your at school. Just don't skip too many classes when it's perfect hunting weather!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by fastetti
Did you mean "Can" or "Can't" because most universities have ways that you can still hunt even if you live in the dorms. When I lived in the Dorms at Southern Illinois I was worried I wouldn't be able to hunt since I know they wouldn't let me keep my gun in the dorm. I called the Campus police and sure enough at the campus police department they have a student firearm lock up where they assign you a locker to put your bow/firearm in and you can access the locker whenever you want. Most schools in the midwest have this so I'd give the campus police department a call and they should at least point you in the direction of how to store your weapon while your at school. Just don't skip too many classes when it's perfect hunting weather!
I meant can't..But maybe I can thank you for the information , I'm going to look into it.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Spike

Check out my link: http://www.facebook.com/groups/284889471549252/ We are in SE Iowa! Fully Guided and Lodged but most important very affordable! Please check us out and give us a call! We are booking 2013 Hunts!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iayotehunter
I meant can't..But maybe I can thank you for the information , I'm going to look into it.
Let me know if you can, I'd be curious to see if they offer something like that at U of Iowa. I would think they would have it available, a lot of students hunt out there. Good Luck!