Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
What do you think about DR. Deer coming to WI. >

What do you think about DR. Deer coming to WI.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

What do you think about DR. Deer coming to WI.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default What do you think about DR. Deer coming to WI.

Is this what WI needs? I don't think so! I would like to hear other Hunters opinions on this. I am not a fan of the DNR, but is this going to help WI.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Spike

I'm not sure either I guess. But it doesn't hurt to see what he has to say. He seems like a pretty knowledgeable person, and just about anything is better than what the DNR was doing for a couple years there. I think the majority of hunters in the state will say they want to see 10+ deer every time they sit blah blah blah. When in reality, I'd say 75% of the hunters sit 2 or 3 days during the gun/deer season and they only sit for like 3 hours morning and night which is why they don't see any deer.

There's no real way they can "fix" it by making some statewide law or regulation. The deer herd in the southern part of the state is a lot different than the deer herd in the NW or NE. I guess if it was up to me, the state would be divided into 4 or 5 zones that made their own regulations to maintain a healthy deer herd that at the same time wasn't over populated.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default dr.alt

he will FIB to you.he will tell you to SHOOT OLD DOE.why?because old doe have 2 or 3 fawns.BUT HE WILL NOT TELL YOU THAT, I DID!
he will say leave young doe go.young doe dont have fawn.

he will let KIDS shoot the small bucks .THAT IS BAIT FOR YOU TO SIGN UP.
the rule is 3 points to side ON BUCK,WE LIKE THAT BUT THE KIDS THING IS CAUSING THE BUCKS NOT TO REACH 3 POINTS TO SIDE AS WELL AS IT COULD.
dads are shooting small bucks for kids in crews.if you have kid along in crew, you dont count points,just shoot and have kid tag it.
this is being done bigtime here in pa.WE ARE MAD OVER IT.
he will let you kill more than 1 doe per season.when this started here in pa, they allowed 4 doe to be killed.
back then we had 15 dpsm,now we down to 3 dpsm and some areas with no deer.lots of areas with no deer.
they will have early season in archery to kill off more doe,DOE ONLY.

NOW OUR HUNTING IS JUST AWFUL IN JUST 8 YEARS OF THIS here in wmu2g of pa.

yes, you will see bigger horns if you go with 3 point rule BUT the doe killing will cause your area to see very few deer .
you will see like 1 buck and 3 doe per your hunting area of say 2 square miles .
100 hunters after those 4 deer.

here is my rec.
AR is good thing but make it 3 points to side for all or only first year a kid hunts he can shoot a spike.if not crews will shoot the small bucks and use kids tag for 5 years until they are 16.

dont let them open early doe season with guns .
keep your control, dont let them expand your hunting units,we used to be county only doe tags,NOW it covers 10 countys in wmu2g.
this allows doe hunters to come to your hunting area from other counties and clean out your doe.THEY WILL COME AND CLEAN THEM OUT.then move on.
allow only 3 days of doe, THEY WILL TRY TO MAKE IT A WEEK OR 2 WEEKS.
DMAP tags,you can kill 2 more doe on STATELAND if you just buy 2 more DMAP tags .so you could kill 4 doe ,2 with WMUtag and 2 with DMAP.

your sportsmans clubs will turn on you too.they will take KIDS up front and cry,DADDY I WANT TO KILL A SPIKE BUCK, DADDY, BOO WHO.........
this is trick that MEAT hunters will pull on you with backing of DR.ALT .
we are down to 4yr old kids in camo diapers on PUBLICLAND killing the 10 point bucks .this allows DADDY to kill a buck and then kill another buck and say,MY 4 YR OLD IN CAMO DIAPERS SHOT IT.

almost all i know that do this were outlaws and found a way to fill the freezer and many are running your sportsmans clubs too.

ALT PLAN will ruin your deer hunting.yes, you will see bigger horn bucks, i agree with AR,but the HR will ruin your number of doe you see.
it will be like this.

2 buck in your area and 3 doe and over 100 hunters hunting .THAT IS WHAT YOU WILL SEE AND MANY AREAS YOU WILL NOT EVEN SEE A DEER FOR MILES.
road hunting will double as you have to cover AREA to see a deer.you will no longer be able to hunt your arewa and see deer like you see now.

go to this site.they tell TRUTH of gary alt doe plan.if you cant get in without joining to read info,e-mail one of the directors listed and they will send you info on DR.GARY ALT THE BEAR DOCTOR NOT DEER DOCTOR .

www.unifiedsportsmenpa.org

Last edited by sproulman; 11-18-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Spike

LOL......talk about near illiterate!!! I think you need to do some more editing next time before you reply.

I also think your data is influenced by the poor hunters you either hunt with or these are things you have participated in.

Now back to the subject.....is Dr. Kroll good for WI? I've watched him on North Amreican Whitetail and I find his information to be true and solid. I've read of his ideas on managing a whitetail deer herd and I agree with most of what he states. So, I am in favor of his information. However I am leery as to how he intends the entire state to follow his advice. Like the first writer to this subject, I do not believe the entire state can be treated the same way. The deer numbers, number of hunters, the habitat, terrain, traditions, and private land vs. public land usage do not allow for this.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jrjr23
LOL......talk about near illiterate!!! I think you need to do some more editing next time before you reply.

I also think your data is influenced by the poor hunters you either hunt with or these are things you have participated in.

Now back to the subject.....is Dr. Kroll good for WI? I've watched him on North Amreican Whitetail and I find his information to be true and solid. I've read of his ideas on managing a whitetail deer herd and I agree with most of what he states. So, I am in favor of his information. However I am leery as to how he intends the entire state to follow his advice. Like the first writer to this subject, I do not believe the entire state can be treated the same way. The deer numbers, number of hunters, the habitat, terrain, traditions, and private land vs. public land usage do not allow for this.

if people listen to you,THEY WILL MAKE MISTAKE.
46 yrs hunting buck, i should know what is and has happen.
but you have right to say what you want.
many DCNR/AUDUBON/QDMA share your views.

all want to see deer gone or reduce to unhuntable numbers which we are seeing now here in pa.
having DR.ALT there, YOU WILL SEE END TO NUMBERS OF DEER YOU WILL SEE.that is his objective.
get used to seeing very few deer and lots of hunters after deer that are left.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Dr Kroll is a very well respected deer expert... Anybody who thinks Governor Walker made a mistake in hiring him needs to come back to reality and take a look at who Governor Doyle put in that job to manage our deer. He, and others before Walker, used that position as a way to pay back favors to large donators to his campain. They would get a free and easy cushy job and get paid for nothing.
Dr Kroll is well known for his great deer managment. I am sure he will impliment a system that will allow more bucks to reach maturity and HOPEFULLY finally end the CWD Slaughter in southern Wisconsin.
When Wisconsin 1st decided to eradicate whitetails in the name of CWD ( Or donations to Doyle from insurance companys ) Dr Kroll appeared on a Texas deer show and did a two episode series where he stood up for the Wisconsin hunters and told the world that the Wisconsin DNR was handling the CWD thing all wrong, and that the whole state was mismanaged... I am sure thats part of why he got the job.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Buckmaster, I agree. When 1% get a disease ya don't kill all of them. We will see. He can't be worse than it has been. I hope we see some real changes like charging a few fees from out os state hunters like they charge us. Just 10 bucks from an out of state hunter will buy 1000's of acres of land each year. we need a bit more public land in southern Wis. He is big on antler restrictions.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ihookem1
Buckmaster, I agree. When 1% get a disease ya don't kill all of them. We will see. He can't be worse than it has been. I hope we see some real changes like charging a few fees from out os state hunters like they charge us. Just 10 bucks from an out of state hunter will buy 1000's of acres of land each year. we need a bit more public land in southern Wis. He is big on antler restrictions.
I think non-res fees are to high already... But I would like to see something like $75. non-res tag "UNLESS YOUR STATE CHARGES MORE TO OUR RESIDENTS" Then we charge the same... Paying $600+ to hunt iowa and illinois is rediculas...

Remember, these non-residents not only buy tags, they rent rooms, eat food, buy gas, etc... They spend a lot of money here to our buisnesses and we should do more to attract them, and stop letting all of the states charge all of us who occasionally go on out of state hunts prices for a tag that cost as moch as some outfitters charge for outfitting.

I know a guy i n Iowa whose two grown kids live out of state. For his two boys to come hunt there own family farm with there combined three kids, and the one brothers wife who hunts, it cost them over $3600.00 to hunt deer on there own family farm... Rediculas!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Dominant Buck

I have only read a little of what Dr. Deer says. He seems to have some good ideas and knows deer herd problems, but I wonder if the problem he is going to encounter is too far gone already. I like the idea of separating the state into zones and addressing them as an individual problem. Seems some of the forum members are really thinking this out. And that's what needs to be done.

I talked to eight hunters this year who hunted hard. Not just afternoons and mornings for a few days. Between them they saw two deer, both bucks. Both bucks, were eight or better and taken out of the herd. What bothered them was no seeing doe. Their trail camera showed the deer were already in nocturnal mode coming in and walking trails only at night. What caused that so early?

I went out in the new snow the other day and found two sets of deer tracks on all the trails and roads I have cut, through my property. In the past years before the big kill off, those trails would have been packed with deer sign. As a deer hunter, I am not just out there to kill deer. I like to be in the woods. But I do want to see deer. Which was not the case this year AGAIN.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

Its a lot easier to destroy the herd in Wisconsin, then it will be to rebuild it... People need to give him a chance. We also gotta hope that Walker stays in office, cause as soon as he is out you can bet the democrats will be useing that position once again for politacle gain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.