HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Wi new fire arm take effect 11/19 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/353671-wi-new-fire-arm-take-effect-11-19-a.html)

JW 11-15-2011 03:07 PM

Wi new fire arm take effect 11/19

New firearm rules take effect on opening day of gun deer hunt

Weekly News Article Published: November 8, 2011 by the Central Office
EDITOR'S ADVISORY: This news release has been updated to reflect DNR Law Enforcement determination that the new law does not allow for loaded guns to be inside of vehicles, even if the vehicle is stationary.
MADISON -- New legislation signed Friday by Gov. Scott Walker modifies state law concerning the manner in which long-barreled firearms, bows and crossbows can be transported in motor vehicles or placed in or on stationary vehicles.
The new law will be published in time to take effect Nov. 19, opening day of the traditional, nine-day, 2011 gun deer season.
In its essence, the new law can be boiled down to a single statement, said Tim Lawhern, DNR division of enforcement and science administrator.
“Unless otherwise prohibited, you can carry a long gun, uncased and unloaded, in or on a motor vehicle in Wisconsin at any time,” Lawhern said. The DNR has prepared a frequently asked questions on Wis. Act 51 page that available on the law enforcement pages of the DNR website.
While the law has changed, Lawhern said, there will still be many people who will continue to use a carrying case to transport unloaded firearms in motor vehicles, as hunters have been and will continue to be advised in hunter education courses.
“It’s a great way to protect your investment in your firearms,” Lawhern said.
As is always the case with a new law, Lawhern said, the first year is an educational opportunity.
DNR chief warden Randy Stark has already provided the state’s warden force with detailed instructions on the new law and its enforcement. Wardens will use a mix of enforcement, communication and education to help hunters understand and comply with the new law, Lawhern said.
“We are always ready to help people in the field, to answer their questions and to provide advice,” Lawhern said.
Here are a few things hunters might need to know about the new law:
  • A caveat to the uncased long gun rule – the new legislation does not change Wisconsin law regulating the practice of shining (illuminating) wild animals at night with artificial light. It will still be illegal to possess a firearm of any kind, loaded or unloaded, while shining wild animals.
  • The new law allows individuals to hunt from a stationary non-motorized vehicle, such as a hay wagon, so long as it is not attached to a motor vehicle. Previously, hunting from any vehicle was prohibited, without the distinction of whether the vehicle was motorized or stationary. This change previously had been sought by warden administrators. “People used to have to take one or more wheels off the hay wagon to comply with the letter of the law,” Lawhern said.
  • It will be legal to possess and transport uncased bows and crossbows in a vehicle. However, bows may not have an arrow nocked. A crossbow may not be ****ed unless it is unloaded (meaning the bolt or arrow is removed) and cased.
  • If a firearm is a loaded rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader, it can only be placed on the top or exterior of a vehicle which is stationary. It remains illegal to place a loaded rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader inside any motorized vehicle or to load any rifle, shotgun, or muzzleloader while the firearm or person loading the firearm is still inside the vehicle. All long guns must be outside of a motorized vehicle before a person may load these firearms. A loaded firearm can be set down on the top or exterior of a stationary vehicle, but it must be unloaded before the firearm is placed inside or transported in or on the vehicle.
Wisconsin hunters, as a group, are among the best trained and safest hunters in the world, said Lawhern. This is thanks in large part to the legions of volunteer hunter safety instructors who donate their time each year to educate new hunters.
“Our hunters have established an enviable safety record,” Lawhern said. “We fully expect the vast majority of hunters in Wisconsin will continue to use common sense and safe practices when handling firearms. For most of us, these practices have become second nature.”
Here are the four basic rules of gun safety, as taught in hunter education:
  • Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
  • Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
  • Be certain of your target and what’s beyond.
  • Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until ready to shoot.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Tim Lawhern, DNR enforcement and science division administrator, (608) 264-6133

mr.mc54 11-15-2011 03:30 PM

Leave it to the DNR, make the law as complicated as they can. Why not just make it simple for the hunters, Guns can now be uncased in or on a vehicle and they may not be loaded while in a vehicle.

Pretty simple!:confused0024::D

JW 11-15-2011 04:15 PM

Well its all part of the NEW Conceal Carry Law that caused all of it. Definitions what is considered a longgun cased and or uncased as well as what the CC law impacts caused it.

You can thank the lawyers for that. Nothing is simple or as nice as the nice paraphrase you wrote MC..
JW

sqezer 11-15-2011 04:24 PM

mr.mc, that's what they want, to confuse everyone.

mr.mc54 11-16-2011 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by JW! (Post 3876719)
Well its all part of the NEW Conceal Carry Law that caused all of it. Definitions what is considered a longgun cased and or uncased as well as what the CC law impacts caused it.

You can thank the lawyers for that. Nothing is simple or as nice as the nice paraphrase you wrote MC..
JW

Blame the Concealed carry laws?:devil:That is ridiculous!:s8:
The concealed carry has nothing to do with long guns! Even an idiot knows what a long gun is, don't they? We need less lawyers and more laws wrote so as the hunter don't need to be a scholar to interpret the mumble jumble the DNR puts in their hunting regulations.
The long gun laws are there because of our DNR writing tickets for frivolous violations, ie; hunting from a hay wagon, leaning your gun against your car (while warming up), target shooting over the bed of one's truck, using a case that the zipper won't close all the way. The DNR rules with a (IRON FIST), and common sense is lost. They like to confuse hunters so as they can write tickets.

It is as simple as what I said; Don't have a loaded long gun in a vehicle. You may have a unloaded long gun, in, on, under, in a window gun rack, drive down the road (with it uncased), and on the tailgate of a pick up, with out DNR harrasment.

I find it totally nuts that the DNR ticketed hunters for shooting from a (hay wagon). You had to take one wheel off to satisfy the DNR. Does that make sense? Too much power, and I'm glad the got their toby stomped on.:s2::party0005:

JW 11-16-2011 08:42 AM

WEll the CC law - a definiton was needed as some will have a loaded long gun - we as hunters know the difference or at least I'd hope so.

And as you stated it was paraphrased from Lawhern. Quote -

""In its essence, the new law can be boiled down to a single statement, said Tim Lawhern, DNR division of enforcement and science administrator.
“Unless otherwise prohibited, you can carry a long gun, uncased and unloaded, in or on a motor vehicle in Wisconsin at any time,” End quote.

As much as you don't like them the laws are written to protect you.

JW

mr.mc54 11-16-2011 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by JW! (Post 3877075)
As much as you don't like them the laws are written to protect you.

JW

I obey the laws, However, I don't feel safety is the issue here. Concealed carry is a right and its about time we got the Right to carry back. There are always some who are concerned for our safety, that is just an excuse to infringe on our rights as law abiding citizens. You can't blame safety as a reason for writting a man a ticket for shooting from a hay wagon, can you? What about leaning over your truck bed and target shooting? These dumb laws were traps to write tickets. Give sportsmen and women some credit to
hunt safely.

I don't need the DNR to make me safe. It is every hunters responsibility to handle a gun safely. The western states don't have dumb laws like these and they have been able to have a gun in their vehicle (uncased) for as long as I have hunted. Are there more accidents because of that? I think not.

We need laws, yes, but make it simple.:s2:

afd33 11-16-2011 06:49 PM

Not getting into the debate above... but I know I'll be using a case the majority of the time anyway. The only time I won't is when I'm doing deer drives, and even then I will if I'm traveling more than a couple of blocks. It was always a pain in the butt when you had to case and uncase it 4, 5, 6 or more times on one property when you're moving from one spot to another.

JW 11-17-2011 05:39 AM

Sounds like you had the same teacher I did and that was our parents and grandparents on how to handle firearms safely. But would you do away with the Hunter Ed requirement?

I agree the Case law was a pain at times - but I am so used to it and it protects my firearms from damage that I will continue to use them.
But with the relaxed vehicle rule - you watch - some person will rest his loaded weapon against the car - it will fall causing someone to get hurt!

JW

mr.mc54 11-17-2011 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by JW! (Post 3877420)
Sounds like you had the same teacher I did and that was our parents and grandparents on how to handle firearms safely. But would you do away with the Hunter Ed requirement?

I agree the Case law was a pain at times - but I am so used to it and it protects my firearms from damage that I will continue to use them.
But with the relaxed vehicle rule - you watch - some person will rest his loaded weapon against the car - it will fall causing someone to get hurt!

JW

JW, I do not want the hunters safety to go away! HS is absolutely neccessary, because many don't have the training my dad instilled in me and it sounds like yours did also. I just have a problem with the DNR and their iron fisted approach to hunters. I talked to many hunters and most find the DNR regs. to be complicated at best. Most hunters didn't disobey the laws on purpose, they most likely didn't have the training the new generation is getting through Hunters Safety. The DNR could have used a teaching moment, rather than slamming them with a ticket. I know there may be an accident, but there will be accidents because of the risk, nature of our sport and when hunters are in the woods anyway. We can make all the laws in the world and there still will be some accidents.

So, again, Hunters safety is neccessary and teaches the best way's to be safe, but sometimes a teaching moment is much better than issueing a ticket. Common sense goes a long ways in helping our beloved sport to continue for future generations to come.