Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Illinois Deer question >

Illinois Deer question

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois Deer question

Old 11-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Spike

Default Illinois Deer question

Hello,

I recently leased 160 acres in Macoupin County. Can anyone let me know what I can expect to see in this county? Is this a decent county to have a lease? Do they kill good sized buck in Macoupin? I've never been to Illinois and I'm sure it's 100% better than PA but I'm just curious if I'm in a good county or not for next year.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Spike

I hunt in Macoupin County also. I haven't had the opportunity to kill any "big" bucks...yet. But I have found 2 dead turkey hunting, that would score 140 - 150. I'm sure you know just because you hunt a county known for big bucks doesn't mean you see any. Genetics, hunting pressure, location, food, deer management, etc... are all variables for the size of bucks in your area. I have hunted around Palmyra for over 25 years now at the same location. Good luck!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's a great county!

Monsters roam the area... a good/decent buck would be 150 inches.

I agree just because they're there doesn't mean you'll see them, but I certainly would be passing on 130" deer in hopes of a 150, and the chance at a monster...180"+

You def won't see the big boys if you shoot the 1st 130" you see.

Last edited by salukipv1; 11-14-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Spike

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I realize the variables but I can tell you that you lease 160 acres in my part of PA a 115 is huge but if you leased the same amount in South West PA you better hold out for 130+. Just wondering where we sit in Macoupin.

We decided to put a 140 minimum on it and I wanted to make sure we weren't dreaming. I'm hoping the neighboring farms are letting them grow but wont know until I get out there this summer and knock on some doors. Thanks again for the info guys, really excited about this place.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

You should be excited man, the biggest whitetails in the country come out of Illinois. & Macoupin county is no different than Pike county. The same food & mineral sources are found throughout most the state. What makes western Illinois different from any other part of the state is herd management. Over in w. Illinois they take management very serious & they have the deer to show for it.

If you can show the deer on your lease the attention that is necessary to grow big bucks, 140 class deer will be the youngins on your land.

Good luck with the new property.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Spike

Wink

Where ru going to be in macoupin? no some guys who hunt there.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:35 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

A little late to the party here, but I agree with the others. I live in Macoupin County and hunt in Macoupin, Montgomery and Jersey Counties with Jersey bordering Macoupin to the West and Montgomery bordering Macoupin to the east and all three hold huge Bucks. Macoupin is a big county that produces numerous bruisers every year. The vast majority of Macoupin County is farmland and timbered creek bottoms. Classic Illinois Whitetail habitat. Without more details about the 160 acres you leased it is hard to say for sure, but you definitely picked a good County.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Spike

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm going out this Friday, Saturday and Sunday to scout and hang stands. The farm is 100 acres of woods in sort of a U shape with 60 acres of corn in the middle but I think they may be changing that to native grasses. Opposite side of an unmaintained old dirt road is many acres of soy beans. Back side of the wood lot seems to be more patches of farm land and much smaller wood lots. I wont really know until I get out there whats in those fields. I'm excited to speak to the farmer and see what he has to say about the properties potential.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Spike

Default round figure

if you don'tmind me asking...since I am new to IL hunting after living in Florida for 6 years...what does a lease cost these days? I heard $5 a acre is the going rate and some are saying half the meat.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:38 AM
Spike

try about 25-30$ an acre.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.