Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
public land tips >

public land tips

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

public land tips

Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Spike

Default public land tips

so i have been resigned to going to public land for hunting ( in northern illinois), the gentleman who had let me hunt on his farm had sold his property and the new owners are dead set against hunting (ill never understand the thought process with people like this). i am looking for tips and advice on the best way to hunt public land. i had done some scouting early in the spring before all the overgrowth came about. help please.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

google earth is your friend. look for spots that look like fine habitat and ask yourself, would 90% of the people go this far to hang a stand. If you answer no, walk another 1/4 mile into the forest to prime habitat and hang a stand over deer trails there.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Spike

Default public land

I hunt public land and have for years. Not familiar with your area, but here in Mo, there are several hunters during the firearms season, which keeps the deer moving. You just have to always be aware of the possibility someone hunting in your stand when you get there. First come, first serve rules here.
Also your trail camera will not be safe. I've had two stolen. One was locked with a cable and padlock and they just cut the lock.
Other than that, the hunting is generally good.
Good luck.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pheasant hunt a lot of public land in Northern Illinois. If it happens to have pheasant hunting on it let me know. When I pheasant hunt I'm always looking fofr good spots to hunt. I'd be happy to throw my .02 worth in if I've hunted there.

The key is walk as far away from everyone else. When you think your far enough, walk another 300 yards. Also, use the wind to your advantage. Think where other hunters scent will scare deer too. Also, think unconventional to get to your spot. Mountain bikes are always a good way to cover a lot of even ground quick.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

I have to agree with some of the advice given already -- the farther you can get from a parking lot, the better, at least until you have to drag it out, lol. Also, the more you can stay put, the better, let others push the deer around and maybe you'll get lucky. During gun season, it seems a lot get ancy between 9:00 and 10:00 a.m.
Also, if you are hunting a big site and only are familiar with a part of it, get there early so you have the most choice of where you will hunt.
Most of what I have said pertains more to gun season. Except maybe in the height of the rut, in my experience, bow hunters never fill the place up to the same extent