Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Northern Illinois Coyote Hunting >

Northern Illinois Coyote Hunting

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Northern Illinois Coyote Hunting

Old 03-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Spike

Default Northern Illinois Coyote Hunting

Hello Everyone,

After Deer season ended this year I got a coyote permit for Des Plaines Conservation area. Went out with my 12 guage and took 2 yotes in the 8 trips that I made and I'm hooked.

I'd really like to find some spots to hunt, especially with a rifle, but I'm very hesitant to ask farmers. First off, I'm not the type of person that feels comfortable asking anyone for anything. Also, and more importantly, I'm not very familiar with farmers and don't know how to approach them, where/when to approach them, etc. A few people I've spoke to recently have told me they've asked permission to hunt deer, geese, etc. and were met with "no's" but given thumbs up if they wanted to hunt coyotes. That sounds promising. Still, I see these properties set back from the road and I'd feel funny driving up someone's long driveway to ask if I could hunt on their land.

Any tips or information from people in the area? Any replies greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

If all you are looking for is coyote hunting it is pretty easy to get permission. Where I hunt in MN it's almost impossible to get in hunting deer unless you are part of the family. But everyone knows the coyotes are taking deer. Almost everyone around here will let me in to hunt coyotes as long as it doesnt interfer with their deer hunting. If you find some property that produces results and you are up for it, try offering help to the farmers or ranches a couple times a year to get a good relationship. Just dont press your luck, only hunt when and where they permit until you get on good trustworthy terms.