HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   joliet hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/338475-joliet-hunting.html)

ndrhunt 01-16-2011 10:06 AM

joliet hunting

i am looking at trying to get into the joliet training center, for hunting next season. i am looking for any info that i can get on hunting there. i know that there is a skill test to get in there which is okay. does anyone have a phone number or a website that i can get info on hunting there. i am looking to hunt little closer to home and as of right now there isnt any hunting in dupage county. thank you for any info you can give me.

jrfrmn 01-16-2011 12:50 PM

Joliet Training

Originally Posted by ndrhunt (Post 3758732)
i am looking at trying to get into the joliet training center, for hunting next season. i am looking for any info that i can get on hunting there. i know that there is a skill test to get in there which is okay. does anyone have a phone number or a website that i can get info on hunting there. i am looking to hunt little closer to home and as of right now there isnt any hunting in dupage county. thank you for any info you can give me.

What are you talking about?

ndrhunt 01-16-2011 05:09 PM

i was given a little bit of information about hunting the joliet training area. this info was given just in passing. i know its not far from midewin. just looking for more info about the skill test you have to take to get a spot to hunt the land. and if there is a phone number i can call to contact them to get info from them.

Zim 01-17-2011 08:30 AM

ndr,

You are best off just driving down there and stopping for flyers at the hunting shack on Arsenal Road. The archery proficiency test is approx. June 1st every year. I have a 5 year pass, which you can earn by scoring well on a 3D shoot in July or August.

I've been hunting there for around 8 years. Basically it's the best public land available close to Chicago, but I no longer waste the prime rut there. Much better spots for that downstate away from the crowds. However, I use it early and late season just for somewhere to go because it does have a lot of thick cover other public areas lack, and management is good there. Hunter pressure is high though, and the deer very educated.

They have lots of photos of nice bucks taken there every year but if you do the math, you can calculate about 20 P&Y bucks taken per 400 hunters only amounts to 5% success rate. I can do waaaaay better downstate.........like about 90% chance over the last 8 years. It's an OK place to go if the weather is perfect and I am stuck in this area. Better than not hunting.

uncle matt 03-20-2011 01:55 PM

Drop into the Midewin Welcome center on the east side of IL Rt. 53 south of Elwood. I went by there just prior to archery season. No test required. Filled out the necessary paperwork, sat thru a 10-15 minute film orientation and received everything necessary including site maps.

I would call them first if you are planning on going by now that it is off season to see if there are particular times they do the orientation.