Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 BEST PLACE TO LIVE >

BEST PLACE TO LIVE

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

BEST PLACE TO LIVE

Old 07-21-2003, 03:26 PM

Default BEST PLACE TO LIVE

Am looking to move to a smaller town that is right in the heart of some of the best upland and waterfowl hunting and great fishing to. Where is a great place to live ? [email protected]
Old 07-29-2003, 06:01 AM

Default RE: BEST PLACE TO LIVE

Well..........That could be a number of places. But for starters, You can' t hardly go wrong when you are looking for excellent waterfowl when you stay next to a main river system, such as the Missouri or the Mississippi Rivers. These are major southern directional flyways, and having hunted the Missouri River on numberous occassions, I can attest that the hunting there is alway great, even in times of drought or frozen over bodies of water elsewhere. As far as upland bird hunting, around here (Saint Joseph, Missouri) and farther north, seem to be excellent hunting for pheasants and quail, though the quail numbers have dwindled drastically in the last 15 to 20 years, but pheasant numbers are still very good. But the farther north you go, such as Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, ect., the hunting for upland game is better, and the waterfowling is excellent if you stay next to the river.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Is there something wrong with the place where you live now ? Small town living ain' t all it' s cracked up to be either . You give up a lot of the services that you probably take for granted now when you live in a town of 1,000 like I do . Small towns are also usually situated fairly far from " civilization" , imagine driving 12-20 miles to the nearest decent grocery store , or 35 miles one way to work . I would call it an adventure at best . I live in Southern Indiana near the Ohio River , and the hunting and fishing are pretty good here . I know lots of upland and waterfowlers around here , and they all seem to find the opportunities to their liking .
Old 07-29-2003, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

My vote would be for Devils Lake ND. It' s a fairly small town, but it still has everything you need (retail stores, groceries, resturaunts, etc.). The town is basically right on one of the best fishing lakes in the upper midwest, and the waterfowling is absolutely second to none. There isn' t much for upland birds in the area, but you would only have to drive a couple of hours to find good pheasant hunting. I go there every fall for duck hunting/fishing, and to me it' s like a slice of heaven.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:41 PM

Sounds like ND is the place for you. BUT I LOVE MINNESOTA!!! [8D][8D]

GO VIKES!!!
Old 08-09-2003, 02:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

imagine driving 12-20 miles to the nearest decent grocery store , or 35 miles one way to work
. Soon and I can' t wait!!!!!!!!!!!!
Small town living ain' t all it' s cracked up to be either . You give up a lot of the services that you probably take for granted now when you live in a town of 1,000 like I do
Give 10 years or so!
Old 08-14-2003, 02:03 PM

hey straightshot where are youf rom in minnesota im from teh comfrey area if you know where that is i love it here theres pheasants everywhere this year
Old 08-16-2003, 08:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would vote Devils Lake as well. I live in Jamestown about 80 miles south of there. They have the best waterfowl hunting and fishing I have ever seen and I have seen a lot. It is a town of about 4500 or so people. Only drawback. BBBRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2003, 11:17 PM
Fork Horn

Another great thing about the DL area is how great the people are. I think the landowners right around town may be a little reluctant because of the pressure, and from guides leasing the land. But if your willing to drive a half hour or so, you' ll find people that will be more than happy to let you hunt their land. In fact, alot of the time they will show you the fields where they have seen birds. If I wasn' t married, and didn' t have kids, I think the last line of my address would read - Devils Lake, ND!
Old 08-17-2003, 11:17 AM

I' m from the Cambridge area (but not cambridge.) It' s a smaller town east of cambridge near the WI border, but I hunt near St. Croix State Forest mostly.