Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
CWD found in buck shot on game farm near Ashland, WI >

CWD found in buck shot on game farm near Ashland, WI

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

CWD found in buck shot on game farm near Ashland, WI

Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Spike

Default CWD found in buck shot on game farm near Ashland, WI

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/107518698.html

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that a buck shot on a "shooting preserve" near Ashland, WI has tested positive for CWD. A tissue sample is being sent to a lab in Iowa for a confirmation test.

An article in the Ashland Current says that the deer farm was just sold and a fence inspection by the DNR found a "breech" in the fence. This could allow a deer to enter or leave the enclosed area.

http://ashlandcurrent.com/article/10...ng-baiting-ban

Could this be the start to the end of one of Wisconsin's greatest traditions?
Old 11-16-2010, 04:36 AM
Typical Buck

Wow, lets hope it isn't so. I hunt in western Virginia and the far western side that borders WV has some cases of CWD. I have heard about it for a while but have never really read up on it. I assume that it can affect humans that eat the deer? What happens if this gets widespread, do we just quit hunting?
Old 11-16-2010, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
Wow, lets hope it isn't so. I hunt in western Virginia and the far western side that borders WV has some cases of CWD. I have heard about it for a while but have never really read up on it. I assume that it can affect humans that eat the deer? What happens if this gets widespread, do we just quit hunting?
CWD has been around for many years and never transfered to humans as yet. We still need to be careful and take no risks for safety sake.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:01 AM
Spike

How many times do we have to keep learning this lesson before the states start saying no? Illinois is now spending a ton of money to deal with an issue that came from Wisconsin in the first place. All of it came from a deer farm. I'm not pointing fingers at one state as they're all at fault in my mind. Next week it'll be a disease from Illinois attacking Wisconsin. Believe me when I say that our cash-strapped state wildlife agencies have better s&@t to spend their money on than chasing their tails dealing with a disease thats impossible to eradicate.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
What happens if this gets widespread, do we just quit hunting?

I won't quit hunting, but I imagine there will be quite a few that do. One thing that will change is a baiting ban. Those that are used to hunting over bait will have to change their methods, but I imagine that a lot of the pumpkin invasion will just quit all together.

This will really hurt the economy in Northern Wisconsin. All of the Ag Co-ops, hotels, restaurants and bars that rely on deer season as a big chunk of their annual income will definitely feel the hit.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by craigs248
I won't quit hunting, but I imagine there will be quite a few that do. One thing that will change is a baiting ban. Those that are used to hunting over bait will have to change their methods, but I imagine that a lot of the pumpkin invasion will just quit all together.

This will really hurt the economy in Northern Wisconsin. All of the Ag Co-ops, hotels, restaurants and bars that rely on deer season as a big chunk of their annual income will definitely feel the hit.
THIS DOOMESDAY THEORY IS NONESENCE! Hunters will still hunt and pointing fingers isn't going to do any good. We all must bond together and work out the problems facing deer hunting today.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Deer in question tested negative by the "gold" standard test. http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/109017529.html
Old 11-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

I wonder how many other "false positives" there are. WI better start putting some this money into better testing or send them all to Iowa to be tested.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Spike

The latest report is from the WI DNR top "Doc" (DVM) is that this animal WAS NOT positive for CWD. Came accross as "breaking news" this morning in Fox 11 out of Green Bay.