Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Land owner problem >

Land owner problem

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Land owner problem

Old 11-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Land owner problem

I have a neighbor who is always messing with me. I caught him dumping deer away all along our line fence today and can't believe someone would go to the trouble of doing this, to just mess with a guy. I have been a land owner of this property for over 12 years now and have never had any trouble with other neighbors in the area. He also ties white plastic bags on all the runways that run between his property and mine. He puts out manakins in orange suits in diferent areas also. I have never shot onto his property or over our line fence. I have a permanent box blind 8 feet off the property line and faces away from his property. The reason for the stand location is I have been failing in health and cannot climb a tree any longer and cannot walk very far. My wife drops me off and picks me up when I call her.

What is wrong with people that they would do this? I still get deer, however, this guy takes the fun out of being out in the woods. I know the stand location is what has him upset, but the alternative is to give up hunting and I am just sick about doing this. I talked to him today and explained all the above however he said he can "dump his garbage any where he wants on his property".

Has anyone ever had any experience with this deer away stuff?
How long does it last and do the deer eventually get used to it?

Any tips would be appreciated! I just had to vent.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Bad neighbors suck. Some people just have nothing better to do than try to make other people as miserable as they are. Be the bigger man and just wave to him eveytime you see him. Eventually he'll give up if he thinks it doesn't bother you. Good Luck!
Old 11-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't sink to his level. You are still getting deer so enjoy your hunting days. Some of that deer away may get over on your prop and then it could screw things up for you.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Spike

Default I hear YA

I hunt about 50 yrds off property line and my GUY next door rides his golf gart along property line every time deer come out in the field he can see the field from his house so that spot is no good til snow falls or it gets to cold for him to take his ride .Talk to the game warden there is such a thing called harassing the hunter
Old 11-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me and my brother lost our hunting spot of 10 years this year, so my brother went hunting with a buddy whose family owns a section of woods. The woods is actually landlocked and as my brothers buddy was sitting in his stand a guy walked in and told him he had to leave. They told this fella he was mistaken, as this property was owned by a family member and they had permission. This guy wanted to argue the neighbor owned this place. Anyway the guy finally left, only to return 10 minutes later with SEVEN friends who acted like they were squirrel hunting right next door and just fired shot after shot for a good half hour. Earlier in the week my brothers bud was walking to his stand in the dark and along the field about 2 feet from the woods someone yells out "good luck" and absolutely scared the tar out of him. The field is actually owned by the neighbor but the woods is owned by my brothers buddies family. I told them the next time it happens to report it to the warden. Not sure if they could prove anything as they were doing this on their property, but there is no doubt what their real intentions were. Situations such as this are really unfortunate, as my brother and his friend have not hunted there since. So really by giving up you are letting them win, but it's also very hard to have a productive hunt with people like this.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbuckOO
Me and my brother lost our hunting spot of 10 years this year, so my brother went hunting with a buddy whose family owns a section of woods. The woods is actually landlocked and as my brothers buddy was sitting in his stand a guy walked in and told him he had to leave. They told this fella he was mistaken, as this property was owned by a family member and they had permission. This guy wanted to argue the neighbor owned this place. Anyway the guy finally left, only to return 10 minutes later with SEVEN friends who acted like they were squirrel hunting right next door and just fired shot after shot for a good half hour. Earlier in the week my brothers bud was walking to his stand in the dark and along the field about 2 feet from the woods someone yells out "good luck" and absolutely scared the tar out of him. The field is actually owned by the neighbor but the woods is owned by my brothers buddies family. I told them the next time it happens to report it to the warden. Not sure if they could prove anything as they were doing this on their property, but there is no doubt what their real intentions were. Situations such as this are really unfortunate, as my brother and his friend have not hunted there since. So really by giving up you are letting them win, but it's also very hard to have a productive hunt with people like this.
I know it is against the law to harass a hunter, however is it worth all the hassle, cuz this guy say's he can dump his garbage any where on hs property. I know the plastic bags stink cuz I can smell them and the stuff he is pouring along the fence smells like deer-Away. I don't want to fight with him anymore, just want to be left alone! I don't know what to do since my hunting is limited to easy access areas only.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
I know it is against the law to harass a hunter, however is it worth all the hassle, cuz this guy say's he can dump his garbage any where on hs property. I know the plastic bags stink cuz I can smell them and the stuff he is pouring along the fence smells like deer-Away. I don't want to fight with him anymore, just want to be left alone! I don't know what to do since my hunting is limited to easy access areas only.
I have heard a lot of stories about landowner problems but i have to admit when i read that this guy dresses up manicins in orange suits my iced tea ended up on my monitor. This guy must have some real issues. Ultimately that is up to you if you want to hassle with it, seems obvious to me though that he wants to intefere with your hunting. But i can also understand not wanting to potentially make things worse then they already are. Like i said, it's just an unfortunate situation.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

I would call the dnr tip line (1-800-TIP-WDNR) (1-800-847-9367) and at least explain your situation. Maybe this guy thinks you will just roll over and quit hunting, but maybe a visit from a game warden will make him think otherwise. Seeing as how you're already on the brink of giving up hunting in the area, I don't see how it can get much worse. I would suggest taking a camera with you and documenting as much of this as you possibly can. As far as the deer away goes, it's tough to prove, but just because it's his land doesn't mean he can dump caustic chemicals wherever he wants. You may also want to talk to the neighbors surrounding him and see if they have had any problems with him as well, it would sure help if you had some support. Good luck in whatever path you choose. Where in WI are ya? I live in Stevens Point but hunt up near Pelican Lake in NW Langlade County. Who knows, maybe one of these times this guy is out trying to bother you a pack of wolves will take care of him for ya!
Old 11-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Fork Horn

I hate this crap too. I see it both ways but I disagree in the crap the guys is doing. I own some land here in Texas and there are leases to the south and west of me. These guys have all there stands and feeders facing towards my fence line and the roads we drive in. We got a 20 acre wheat feild along a draw and these guys put feeders and stands less than 75 yards away. These guys pay alot money to kill a deer they are gonna do it there way. It something you have to deal with as a landowner or even a leaser. I dont go as far as hanging bags and stuff. Just kinda ****ty if you ask me. Anyways, these city hunters that drive down on weekends to hunt get in there stands like 2 hour earlier than I do. I know it pisses them off when I drive right by there stands and feeders to go get in mine. So I know it works both ways. My advice is..you wont win the battle. Find a new lease so theres no worries. If you own the land.... lease it out to like 20 hunters that just want to kill deer for meat. He might be calling you wanting you to hunt it again who knows. Anyways Thats my two cents.

Last edited by Hoyt21; 11-10-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

There is nothing more frusterating than neighboring land-owner issues. I have seen first hand SO many problems with people hunting over other peoples fields because of the property line and easements that get all screwed up, people put up gates and...what a mess. I really feel for you. We were looking at several properties and the realtor wouldnt tell us about any issues (we had heard there was with this one property) so we talked to the neighbor and it was just a nightmare!! needless to say we passed on that property

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.