Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Land owner problem >

Land owner problem

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Land owner problem

Old 12-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by capitalpyro
As a landowner the problem seems obvious to me.

You have a permanent stand 8 feet off the property line.

You say you have never had problems with other neighbors but have you ever built stands so close to the property line with them? If a nice deer is on the other side of the fence I doubt most hunters would respect that property line if no one was looking.

Like others here, I would like to hear the other side of the story. If you came and built a stand 8 feet from my property line, I would be upset as well. I would not do what your neighbor has done because I believe two wrongs don't make a right. Have respect for your neighbors. I'm glad you are not my neighbor.
THE BLIND FACES AWAY FROM HIS LAND! I also said previously, I cannot climb a tree so this is an area I have been hunting where my wife can drop me off with the utv and pick me up. I have been hunting this spot for over 12 years, with no trouble from the previous land owners. I might add, I would never shoot on his land or anyone elses. I also think you are wrong about (most hunters respecting a property line). Hunting ethics are still very important to hunters. How can you say I am disrespecting my neighbors? I am on my land, minding my own business. I don't get it!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:03 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
You know what, I wasn't going to even acknowledge your post but feel a need to set the record straight.

I am not "Bitter" or have an "ego" problem. I just want to enjoy the outdoors w/o problems from this guy. I have tried to make peace and he lies to me about what is going on. I had suspicions about what he was doing but until I caught him dumping his **** on the stand with me in it, I had no proof. In my healthier day's things may have been different for him, but now I am at his mercy.

Kinda sad isn't it? Why do some want to own the deer herd and bully those who don't think the way they do. Why do some want to manage their land and also want to manage all the neighbors too? Why would a man pick on a neighbor who has limited days left in the field and make his hunting miserable? I feel, GREED, is the problem and alot of it has to do with the break down of the reasons we hunted deer and the traditions, deer hunters used to hold dear to their hearts. We used to hunt deer and enjoy our friends and relatives company, now it seems bigger bucks, and record books are all that matters. Hunters are breaking the law and abusing other hunters, just to better their standing. Is this what Hunters want? Not me!

I know not all hunters are this way but it has changed a great deal in my life time.
I totally agree!! You are spot on! I hope you have a great season God bless.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Spike

We hunt approximately 2,000 acres in kansas my dad manages and farms. We also have permission to hunt other farmland as well. As much as we would like to participate in QDM, it just isn't possible. Between the poachers who road shoot nice deer and the farmers who want all of them dead, its hard to manage a herd.

We have watched a deer on camera and in the fields for two years and he was up to a heavy 11 point. We found his carcass in the edge of a field last month with the cape and rack gone. This is what makes it hard for some to do this.

Landowners that have given me permission said that I could hunt only if I agreed to kill the "mowers" whether they be doe, buck, or yearling. I will let a doe or two pass but I will not let many pass. These guys are losing acres of beans and milo to deer every year.

But, we own the property and we are going to do what we wish with the herd. We try to let smaller bucks go but they eat just like the bigger ones and that is important as well. If a big buck doesnt present himself, a smaller one or some does will go instead. We may let a nice 6 walk but when he crosses the fence, the neighbor will kill him.

So, maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge what a guy does with his own property... its not our place.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by capitalpyro
As a landowner the problem seems obvious to me.

You have a permanent stand 8 feet off the property line.

You say you have never had problems with other neighbors but have you ever built stands so close to the property line with them? If a nice deer is on the other side of the fence I doubt most hunters would respect that property line if no one was looking.

Like others here, I would like to hear the other side of the story. If you came and built a stand 8 feet from my property line, I would be upset as well. I would not do what your neighbor has done because I believe two wrongs don't make a right. Have respect for your neighbors. I'm glad you are not my neighbor.
I have a REAL PROBLEM with your thoughts on the stand being too close to the fence line. I think the man can put his stand ANYWHERE he wants to on his own property. That is why he spent his money to buy it, pay taxes on it, maintain it and hunt it as he sees fit. If the neighbor doesn't like it, he could have done what intelligent people do and talk it over with him to see if they couldn't find a mutually beneficial solution to his concern. You attract more flys with honey than vinegar and his adolescent activities are just brewing up more conflict. The sad part is that this particular individual is not up to the task of giving him back any of the grief he is inflicting upon him.

I WISH that I were the one he was playing his games with, I'd have a few up my sleeve for him. I HATE !@#&^%$# like that!

I think you should try to talk to him ( have a witness with you) about what he has been doing and if it does no good, then monitor and document his antics with photos and record keeping. Go see the local prosecutor and see if any charges can be filed for harrassment or hunter harrassment. You could also look at a civil suit. I would not just "take it". He will continue to push because "he can". This gentleman is in his twilight years and there is not any reason to have this JO neighbor ruin another minute of his hunting enjoyment.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Capitalpyro....Did you read the gentleman's original post? He is disabled for the love of Pete! His wife has to drop him off near his stand(stands to reason that's why his stand sits near the fence) and pick him up after the hunt. Do you think he should give his guns away just because he can't hump the bush like he could when he was younger? Get a life!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Spike

I'd take the biggest caliber gun you have and shoot the manikins to pieces from a close distance to be sure, of course when he wasn't around, hahah, probably not the best way to solve this problem but it would make me feel better
Old 01-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Typical Buck

Being from Wisconsin as well, I do know that the manikin thing isn't illegal.

However, the garbage dumping, and deer corpse dumping most likely are. The garbage dumping most definately. We cannot just dump garbage all over the land in Wisconsin. The DNR has a page about waste handling.

Setup some trail cameras and catch your neighbor in the act. After being fined he will either correct his ways, or will end up in jail.

Sadly, we are dealing with new bad neighbors where my family has our hunting cabin. We had another bad neighbor that sold the land to the current people who are actually worse. The original owner ran a chainsaw all day long, every day of every gun deer season, for every year he owned his land.

He thought the deer were his pets, and he owned land in one of the best hunting areas where the land was all owned hunters aside from him. He should never have bought the land. A very bizarre guy to see the least. I never thought I would miss him.

Now the new owners are hunters, but who posted no trespassing signs and harass anyone who trails a deer onto their land. The rest of the owners don't allow people to hunt on their lands, but we all understand that deer run where they run, and we let each other track and retrieve deer shot as needed. We respect them enough not to gut the deer on their property, and they have done the same until the new people anyways. Typically we have only had to track the bucks shot in the archery season. When most of the land owners only have 40-80 acre plots it doesn't take much for a deer to cross property lines. The only exception is our west line that is next to county land.

The new people harass anyone who goes onto their land, but they expect to be allowed to go onto others land while retrieving their deer. A bit of courtesy would go a long way towards resolving the ugly issues between them and everyone else.

They also have made several permanent ATV trails for themselves in a region where ATV abuse has been such a problem they are banned from all public land. They also have been illegally riding down the fire lane on the west side of our property which has been posted for no ATV use. It's sad, but now we are discussing ways to catch them using the trail illegally so they get fined and possibly have their property seized. 17 years hunting from the same place and we have never had any major problems until a few years ago when the one family bought the land across the street from us.

All I can say is, don't do anything stupid. Gather data, and involve the authorities. Talking won't resolve the OPs problem any more than it will resolve my families issues. Just be careful and don't do anything that you will regret.

It's just hard and frustrating dealing with difficult neighbors.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:02 AM
Fork Horn

? Still not seeing the point mr Ek Buckmaster. I give up. Read the intial post the follow up by the guy again.