Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Land owner problem >

Land owner problem

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Land owner problem

Old 11-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Banned

There are always two sides to the story. I wonder if you are shooting young bucks. We have a QDM hunting land which all our neighbors participate except one. The neighbor who doesn't participate shoots between 4-8 yearling bucks every year and rarely if ever a doe. We just about want to strangle the bastard. We have done everything we can to make that side of our land unattractive to deer.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Spike

Did you contact the local DNR Warden? It sounds to me like there could be some illegal stuff happening which might make his pucker factor shut down the hyjinks.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hockeydad
There are always two sides to the story. I wonder if you are shooting young bucks. We have a QDM hunting land which all our neighbors participate except one. The neighbor who doesn't participate shoots between 4-8 yearling bucks every year and rarely if ever a doe. We just about want to strangle the bastard. We have done everything we can to make that side of our land unattractive to deer.
Give me a break!! That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. So let me get this straight: you own land and not only get to decide what gets shot on yours but your neighbors also? That is incredibly ignorant. Maybe your neighbor doesn't care about "trophy" deer. Do you pay their property taxes? Do you upkeep there land? If you answered no to both of those questions why would you have any right to try to "manage" the deer that they shoot. Just because you do something doesn't make it right!!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jessejmc1979
Give me a break!! That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. So let me get this straight: you own land and not only get to decide what gets shot on yours but your neighbors also? That is incredibly ignorant. Maybe your neighbor doesn't care about "trophy" deer. Do you pay their property taxes? Do you upkeep there land? If you answered no to both of those questions why would you have any right to try to "manage" the deer that they shoot. Just because you do something doesn't make it right!!

Every place is different. And yes,you are exactly right in what you say about it really being up to the landowner. That being said, I see what he's saying. Especially prevelant around us, QDM is a pretty widely accepted and practiced thing. I mean, why not try to produce the best quality herds and ultimately, bucks that you can.(this includes taking does) Any hunter who says they dont aspire to, or has dreams of shooting a dandy is lying. And like i said, even though you are right, he's paying to hunt HIS land, let him be, I do know the potential frusterations, because the more people practicing, the higher the likelihood of getting more and more quality deer in an area. just my .02cents

Regardless, we all are in it for the same reason, the love of the outdoors and hunting. It's a shame all these quarrels come up between neighboring landowners. I can attest firsthand
Old 11-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Fork Horn

Well hes has a point. Always two sides of the story. I think that there needs to be mutal agreement and figure out what the problems is. I own land like I said. Guys south of me shoot anything that cross the fence. 4 corns,small six's etc. Meat hunters forsay. Theres nothing you can do. I mean I could sit out there and play my radio in the morning make all kinds of racket, hang deer away or w/e its called but its not worth the trouble. Theres still alot of old fashion hunters that just shoot for meat or w/e they see. They are hurting there chances of killing the big one. My logic to this is ..If you cant get a mutal agreement with this guy then "F*** Him". Hes not worth the trouble. Talk to game warden see what you can do. By hanging those bags... wouldnt it keep deer off his land too? I feel ya. I hope that you can fix this whole ordeal

Last edited by Hoyt21; 11-10-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hockeydad
I will comment on this post;

- all I want is to be left alone.
- All I want is to still, hunt, with my time running out.
- I am on my land and pay my tax's, obey the laws and take what ever presents its-self for my freezer.
- I don't eat horn soup nor do I care too at this juncture of my life. I just want to hunt.
-If you like QDM more power to ya! Your neighbor doesn't have to.
The (BASTARD) as you call him can kill what ever he wishes and thanks you for passing all those 2 1/2 year old bucks. This is why QDM won't work unless you have the whole area in it.

Why is it wrong for one man to shoot and eat what ever comes by, buck or doe.
My Son and the hunters on our land have higher standards than myself. They shoot to manage our land and I don't have a problem with that.
Its great to kill a BC or PY, but as I got older and my health has failed me, the important thing is to get a deer!!!

Just a note, I was a very staunch supporter of QDM till my health went south on me. Now my opinions have changed, I don't condemn anyone for what he believes or does and hope he won't condemn me.

Good Hunting!

Last edited by mr.mc54; 11-10-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Well if he's dumping garbage and putting up those plastic bags, have they or do they ever end up on your property? He may be able to dump on his property (which I really don't know the legality of that) but if his garbage ends up on your property then he's littering.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Fork Horn

Heres my two cents again from your last thread:

Well if you get your deer every year and that’s the whole point you just explained in your last thread, then maybe you’re the problem as well. Maybe he’s trying to manage a deer herd so he can take quality mature bucks like the majority of us want to. Doe are a great way of filling your freezer as well and it also helps manage the herd in the area. This guy is trying to manage deer herd and grow mature bucks and then on the other hand your filling your freezers with whatever crosses the fence. So that might be the source of the problem. Talk to the guy come to an agreement if you’re tired of him doing what he’s doing. I'm sure he’s not out there doing what he’s doing to do it for hell of it. As I am one of those guys that love to kill doe for meat and try to shoot mature bucks and manage my deer herd for the better. You own your land you pay your taxes... well good for you. Maybe it’s your pride and ego that’s the problem too. Dont be so bitter over it. It’s not going to fix the problem. I’m not trying to be dick but I hate when immature deer are killed to fill freezers when there are plenty of doe out there to do it with. You also will put more meat in the freezer when you kill that buck. (Mature, Management) It's a new day and age of hunting and you have to understand that. You have every right to kill what you want, but Intel you actually see it his way too, you guys will keep in this state of bickering and you will not enjoy your hunting. Good Hunting
Old 11-11-2010, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

I can't speak for mrmc54 but I know that alot of areas in Wisconsin don't have the deer numbers that they used too. That being said the area that I hunt is one of them that the numbers are way down. There are lots of areas here that you can't shoot a doe!! And my area some doe tags are available but when nobody in the area are seeing any does (or getting any on trail cams) shooting a mature doe is making your hunting go backwards. Maybe in his area it is different and there are many does but every area isn't just loaded with does like everyone here seems to think.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

To Hoyt 21:

Unlike Texas (Im guessing from your picture that is where your from) the Wisconsin deer population has suffered quite a bit the past couple years. When a lot of people rely on the venison to put food on the table they aren't going to pass up the opportunity. Lets say that you go out and don't see deer the whole time until the last day when a forker walks by. Do you expect him to pass on it and eat his tag instead of providing food for the family? IMO its his choice on what he wants to shoot and his neighbor, although it isn't the way he hunts, should accept the fact that people hunt for different reasons. This gentleman has had health problems and loves hunting in general. If he has the time of his life taking what others view as a little buck, then nobody should be putting him down or attempting to prevent him from taking a deer the next year. How do you think his neighbor would feel if the situation was reversed?

Sorry for the long post but its angers me when people get mad at what others shoot on their own land. I'd be happy for him and would enjoy sharing the moment with him and hearing his deer hunting stories.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.