HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   IL Hunt for first time (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/333220-il-hunt-first-time.html)

Double0Seven 11-02-2010 09:47 AM

IL Hunt for first time

Hey everyone,

I wanted to ask about clothing. I'm blessed in that I get a trip up to IL to hunt for the first time this year. I live in the deep south and have never had the opportunity to come up and experience what I hear so many others raving about.

Since I live in the deep south, I do not experience the type of cold weather I feel will be happening by the time I actually get to go to IL. So, I was wondering if someone who normally hunts in areas like IL could give some advise on good clothing.

Thanks again in advance.

hunt12ga 11-02-2010 07:03 PM

Well... Depends a lot on when you will be here. I went out this evening with a pair of camo jeans and a long sleeved cotton shirt. Sunday morning I had on Under Armour Cold Gear tops/bottoms, polar weight fleece top/bottom, pants and shirt, with a jacket. If it gets any colder I will be wearing my insulated bibs and parka.

I guess what I'm saying is that you never know what the weather will do in Illinois. I'd say plan on it being on the cold side. It always seems to be humid where I'm at, and that makes it seem that much colder.

Good luck, and leave a couple nice ones out there for me :)
rw

headhunter353 11-02-2010 07:32 PM

My advice would be do not go.I went there 6 years ago and had it bad for 5 years .I got clean this year,but I still have to take Ohio and Pa. to get though the year .Then again I heard they have tags over the counter, and I'm down to just the Ohio tag and It's early.You have been told.
If you go, 5 layers of clothing .

IL-Cornfed 11-03-2010 03:25 PM

It will be COLD during the primetimes, early and late in the day!

I would suggest layers, but most importantly is a quality Parka and Bibs. I suggest a quiet, wind and water proof system. My favorite is the Whitetail Extreme MTO50 series from Cabela's..... a little expensive but well worth it for the all day comfort.

I'd also suggest a good neck gaitor to keep your heat in and a qualit pair of pac boots. Based on what many non-resident friends have stated when they've come up to hunt..... the all day cold can be hard to deal with when you don't have the right gear.

Best of luck on your Illinois hunt.

formula1 11-04-2010 09:03 AM

RE:

I'm from the south and typically I will use 3 layers. Heavy duty polypropylene unders, Heavy cotton or waterproof/windproof pants/shirt. For the warmer dry days, I'll use an underarmor lightweight jacket just like in GA and thats it. For the windy cold days, I'll have windproof fleece on the outer layer. And for really cold days, a quality/quiet bib/parka as the occasional 4th layer.

You've got me thinking about my trip up next week. Thanks!

dprsdhunter 11-05-2010 07:59 PM

Dont forget rain gear.

Hunter_59 11-08-2010 12:15 PM

Like others have said, layers layers layers! Saturday morning it was 22 degrees. I'm sitting in the tree now at 70 degrees. Probably the most important piece of clothing will be a fall restraint vest. Good luck!

hunt12ga 11-08-2010 05:42 PM

Sidenote: 59, I like your signature. Couldn't be more true.

And once again, good luck up here in IL. It's a weird year. Didn't see a SINGLE deer yesterday in my go-to spot... But that's why they call it hunting!

rw