Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Wisconsin Rut Watch >

Wisconsin Rut Watch

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin Rut Watch

Old 11-04-2010, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

It's here in N/W WI. The bucks are hard at it and does are on the run.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Spike

1 Hour North of Green Bay, here in Peshtigo...woods are all scraped up. Had 3 bucks run out in front of the truck on the way to work this a.m.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had a doe come running fullbore about 20 feet from me while I was climbing the stand, but the buck never showed itself.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Spike

If someone where to use a decoy, would this be a good time to use a buck or doe? and with what cents, calls, ect?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BowMan051088
If someone where to use a decoy, would this be a good time to use a buck or doe? and with what cents, calls, ect?
I have had great luck and a lot of fun with decoys over the past years. It doesn't always work, so be patient, but when it does, you will have a blast.

I have had bucks come into the decoy setup to fight, have had a buck bump a decoy and so on. But, I still think the top thing a good decoy setup does is

KEEP THE DEER"S EYES ON THE DECOY!

Can't stress that enough. I had a deflected arrow go over the back of a buck that came into the decoy. Instead of running away, the buck bounced off 30 yards, looked back at the buck, and came back in. (couldn't get a second shot).

Here is my suggestions:
  • You could use a buck by itself.
  • You could use a buck and a doe.
  • I often use just a buck. Right now, this is what I would do.
  • I would use a buck and a doe together starting the 11th.
  • This is critical - Make sure you wash the decoy in scent free soap. Put in plastic garbage bag or similar until you get to the woods. Handle only with latex or simialr gloves, and then spray scent killer all over the decoy.
  • Use buck urine to add realism. But, put the buck urine on a wick and on the ground, not on the decoy.
  • If using a buck and doe set up, take the legs off the doe if you can and lay the doe down about 30 yards away facing away from you quartering away straight upwind. Put the buck facing the doe quartering into you. This should bring the deer scent checking between you and the decoys.
  • Use doe-in-heat on a wick, or just doe urine. I actually have had better success with just doe urine.
I personally have had better success with just using the buck, although I have had some fun with the 2 deer setup.

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Brocster
I have had great luck and a lot of fun with decoys over the past years. It doesn't always work, so be patient, but when it does, you will have a blast.

I have had bucks come into the decoy setup to fight, have had a buck bump a decoy and so on. But, I still think the top thing a good decoy setup does is

KEEP THE DEER"S EYES ON THE DECOY!

Can't stress that enough. I had a deflected arrow go over the back of a buck that came into the decoy. Instead of running away, the buck bounced off 30 yards, looked back at the buck, and came back in. (couldn't get a second shot).

Here is my suggestions:
  • You could use a buck by itself.
  • You could use a buck and a doe.
  • I often use just a buck. Right now, this is what I would do.
  • I would use a buck and a doe together starting the 11th.
  • This is critical - Make sure you wash the decoy in scent free soap. Put in plastic garbage bag or similar until you get to the woods. Handle only with latex or simialr gloves, and then spray scent killer all over the decoy.
  • Use buck urine to add realism. But, put the buck urine on a wick and on the ground, not on the decoy.
  • If using a buck and doe set up, take the legs off the doe if you can and lay the doe down about 30 yards away facing away from you quartering away straight upwind. Put the buck facing the doe quartering into you. This should bring the deer scent checking between you and the decoys.
  • Use doe-in-heat on a wick, or just doe urine. I actually have had better success with just doe urine.
I personally have had better success with just using the buck, although I have had some fun with the 2 deer setup.

Good luck!
I forgot to add that I have had luck with all kinds of calls.

In my area (Polk County), I use a light rattle sequence early in the morning or late. If it is 2 hours or later past sunrise, or more than an hour before sunset, I use buck grunts, such as regular or tending, or I have used fawn bleats and doe-in-heat grunts.

This last Tuesday, rattles and doe-in-heat both worked well, and I brought in 5 different deer, one a nice shooter that I could not get in the right position.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

There is some rutting activity going on, but the warm weather made for some tough hunting. Friday morning was really good with the cold weather, I shot a nice 10 pointer.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Spike

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dusters84
There is some rutting activity going on, but the warm weather made for some tough hunting. Friday morning was really good with the cold weather, I shot a nice 10 pointer.

Congrats! Nice deer. The body looks a little lean....is it just the angle of the picture?

A beauty! I am hoping the colder weather forecast for later this week get's the big ones moving. This 60 degree stuff is annoying. Now, we are just happy to have "normal" temps!

I am HOPING that the forecast does not change. They are already changing the outlook from rain and snow to dry now.

Ugg.

What part of Wisconsin?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

The body was kind of lean but long, he weighed 190. Probably a 3 1/2 year old deer. And yeah the warm temps sucks, we pretty much had one stand by water that was amazing over the weekend, but everywhere else wasn't very good. Shot in Buffalo County, 15 min. from Arcadia.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Was out tonight saw a buck and a doe come out around 445... grunted, he looked, kept eating, again, same thing. I knew there were about 8 doe in the other field across the fence.

Didn't seem interested in anything to do with the rut or chasing, he didn't seem to want to fight or chase, but he must have a scrape along the back of the field cause when he came out he started messin with some branches on a small tree.

What's your guys thoughts on this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.