Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Wisconsin hunters? >

Wisconsin hunters?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin hunters?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wisconsin hunters?

So on opening day of archery season this year where do you expect yourself to be sitting? (oak ridge, hay field, bean field, ect.?) Just give a small explanation for where and why if you would. I just need some persuading on where I should go. Your two cents will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Dominant Buck

If my shoulders were not shot, and I could still pull my compound bow back, or if the doctor would grant me a crossbow permit...

I would be sitting in a tree. I feel archery and trees really work well together. The tree I normally used to use was on a slight hill in the poplar and balsam trees on my land, overlooking a small island in a alder thicket.

The island has numerous small cedars on it. The deer come down a path along the side of the hill and then enter the marsh and walk to that island to bed down. There are three trails that move through that area, and where they cross is 30 yards from my tree stand.

Now if I had oak groves and a good acorn mast on the ground, I would be sitting there early in the morning and late afternoon, in a tree. I would try to catch them when they come out of their beds to the feeding area.

Most of the bow deer I have taken were usually late afternoon. Just minutes before the close of the day. But I have a friend that shoots most of his in the afternoon he claims.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be about 20 yards downwind of a trail leading to a bedding area in the AM, and about 20 yards downwind of a trail leading to whatever food they are hitting in your area in the PM.

In the early season, don't crowd the bedding area. I may shoot a deer on opening day, but I treat the first few hunts as more of a scouting deal. Adjust as necessary based on what you see, move closer to the bedding areas as the season goes on.

Just prior to gun season, I'll take my climber and go right into a bedding area and wait for them to return especially in windy rainy weather. Bucks will cruise the area from the downwind side so set your stand with that in mind. All hell is going to break loose in a couple days anyway, nothing to lose at that point.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys for sharing your game plans.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

I have a couple of very large white oaks on a small rise next to a reed swamp, and they are loaded. On the other side of the swamp is bedding. Then on the other side of the oaks is my 5 acre hidden food plot that is 2/3 clover and 1/3 BioLogic rape and turnups. It's a really neat place because it works for both a.m. and p.m. with any wind except south. Good luck to all, shoot a big one.........
Old 09-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Spike

Default Wisdom

Up to three years ago there were plenty of deer. in Wiscosin. Last three years zero. Amazing

Now hunt in Texas and you pick the deer you want

Boar hunting is great down there and it is year around. Much fun

Nappy
Old 09-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

Anyone from WI having any luck yet? I have been out but the skeeters and gnats drive me crazy. Saw some does but no bucks. Good hunting to all!!
Old 09-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
Anyone from WI having any luck yet? I have been out but the skeeters and gnats drive me crazy. Saw some does but no bucks. Good hunting to all!!
I got out opening night and saw a doe and a fawn, no bucks till later when I went shining, go figure.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

There is such a bumper crop of acorns in the woods they are all over except by me. Also they are moving late so far. The best is yet to come.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Been out all but I think 2 or 3 days since the opener, and have seen 2 small bucks, and a doe. I have 4 bucks no does and a fox on the trail cam. Nothing real big, but hoping to get some meat in the freezer here pretty quick! Good luck and God Bless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.