Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Picked Up My 2009 Illinois Buck >

Picked Up My 2009 Illinois Buck

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Picked Up My 2009 Illinois Buck

Old 08-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Picked Up My 2009 Illinois Buck

I picked up my Illinois buck I took on 11/20/09, while hunting in Brown County. He is a 10 pointer, 131", live weight was 200lbs., I took him at 80yards (neck shot) using my H&R Ultra Deluxe 20ga., Horandy SST Slugs (2-3/4"), Leupold VX-II 3-9x40

Old 08-14-2010, 03:51 AM
Site Buck Guru

Nice buck, congrats.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:44 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Can you blow that up a bit? Photo is so tiny. Looks very nice bigger than 131". Last year I hunted Schuyler County just over the line from Brown. Corn was all up due to rain. This year I'm hunting across river the in Cass County. Due to our soaking summer this year I am expecting a very dry fall. It will be welcome.

Nice footing, Greg. Haha.
"So there I was, Nov 12th 1996, flying down the highway, smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee, windows down for scent control."

I was up your way a couple times last year inspecting your Racine post offices.

Last edited by Zim; 08-14-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

He looks great Congrats !!!!

You going back there again this fall ?

Deb
Old 08-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Zim, those rains last year washed my bowhunting out, I hunted just 1 day. I did have a 125" 8 pointer come in with a doe, he was chasing/grunting at her, they stayed under me for 45 mins. Then the rains came, and the rest is history. The day before opening day of the 1st gun season the rains stopped, I went to the creek that I cross to get to my spot, well it was way to deep and the current was to strong, so I went to another farm 1.5 miles away, made a ground blind overlooking a large corn field, with woods and draws behind me, the next morning it was nice but foggy, but I had deer near me at first light, and two coyotes came in. About 9am I hear walking coming from behind me, I see 7 large does, the last one stops looks behind herself and I see the buck, he stops in the only opening at 80 yards and I fired hitting him in the neck which was the only vital area I had, he ran about 15 yards and dropped.

LadyForge, how are you? I was all set to come out there, I went as far as applying for both the archery & firearm tags, but then some family issues came up and the spot I love to hunt was sold last week. We also looking into leasing some farms in Ohio and now we are also thinking of Indiana. I will miss hunting out there, and the people are so nice. So for 2010 I will hunt my home state of New Jersey, and I'm also looking towards our first black bear hunt since 2005, we have some truly large bears, it will be the week of December 6th which is our annual shotgun buck week. I'm hoping to be out there for the 2011 season, if that is the case this time next year I will be out there hanging stands, I know we will have about 850 acres of more land some in Brown and some in Pike.

I wish you the very best this coming season and be safe !!!!
Joe

Last edited by BOWHUNTERCOP; 08-14-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice.....congrats!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Haha ya same here last year. I have to cross a creek that was ankle deep the previous 15 years. Last year it was 3' and strong/fast. I had not brought my waders so I went and bought a roll of heavy duty plastic bags, which I held on as I crossed the creek. Last day I tore bag and ended up soaked one boot.

Ended up losing a big 160" buck due to my wet peep sight string breaking when I drew. Think of the odds of that after thousands of times drawing.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

man third look at him now and i still think it's bigger than 131".
Old 08-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

It does not look 131" to me either. Lets see a side view. Tall g2's, g3's, nice g4's!

You should fire your scorer. I mean in a good way!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm also looking towards our first black bear hunt since 2005
Well Joe I hope you get a good one and look forward to seeing the pic's.
Have a great season
Deb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.