Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Wisconsin’s wild elk herd >

Wisconsin’s wild elk herd

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin’s wild elk herd

Old 08-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Wisconsin’s wild elk herd

Elk herd mortality rate up

By LAURA PODGORNIK
Wisconsin Public Radio

Published: Wednesday, August 4, 2010 10:39 PM CDT
CLAM LAKE — Wisconsin’s wild elk herd saw its highest mortality rate since the herd was introduced to northern Wisconsin from Michigan in 1995.

In May 2009, Department of Natural Resources Elk Biologist Laine Stowell counted 131 wild elk. This May, Stowell counted 131 elk, again. Since then 38 calves were estimated born but it appears 36 elk died overall. Stowell blames most of the population reduction on wolf attacks, which killed more elk than vehicle crashes and bear attacks combined.
Like this is a surprise? The DNR had the deer herd shot off. What did they think all these wolves were going to eat. Face it, there are only so many cats and dogs around. You never see a rabbit anymore. What few deer are around stay well out of pack ranges. Wait until they start going after livestock or heaven forbid children.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Like this is a surprise? The DNR had the deer herd shot off. What did they think all these wolves were going to eat. Face it, there are only so many cats and dogs around. You never see a rabbit anymore. What few deer are around stay well out of pack ranges. Wait until they start going after livestock or heaven forbid children.
Go get em CAYUGAD! Any time you blame the wolf, you'll hear from the "wolf huggers." To them the wolf can do no wrong.

Last edited by mr.mc54; 08-06-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Has anyone heard if the state is still going to introduce elk to the Jackson County forest, WI? I read an artical that stated the state was going to start an elk herd, I thought it was 2012.There was concern about the wolf pack that is in that area, so I don't know if they still are going ahead with it.

Last edited by mr.mc54; 08-13-2010 at 07:11 AM.