Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Rifle conversions in Indiana >

Rifle conversions in Indiana

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Rifle conversions in Indiana

Old 07-30-2010, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default Rifle conversions in Indiana

There are some guys around here in Indiana that are taking WSSM bolt rifles and making barrels and converting them to a rifle legal to hunt with in Indiana and assisting them with opening the brass up to .358

Can anyone give me the name (or names) of some folks that are doing that?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

How would that make them legal, just wondering? WSSM? or WSM?

how about a .460s&w rifle? 2600fps? Ruger...
Old 07-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

What they're doing is taking the 25 WSSM case and trimming it down to just under 1.625" and opening the neck up to .358 and by doing so, it becomes a legal round to hunt with in Indiana. So what I understand is they rebarrel a 25 WSSM rifle (or another super short action rifle) for the new round.

Right now the 460 S&W isn't legal because the case length exeeds the 1.625" maximum (it measures 1.8") There is proposed legislation right now to extend the maximum length to 1.8" to include the 460.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get the .460, and just shoot .454casull until they change the regs....to allow the .460...

I wonder if S&W is challenging IN?
Old 07-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do a google search for "358 BFG", you will pull up the site of one of the main smiths doing this conversion. I believe the parent brass is 300 WSM. Performance with the 225 Accubond is very near the 358 Winchester, none of the true pistol cartridges hold a cnadle to it.

I was considering building one on a Savage action, but with the limit now apparently moving to 1.8" case length there is the opportunity to improve it even more. Right now, ballistically, the 358 BFG is about as good as it gets for Indiana.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1 View Post

I wonder if S&W is challenging IN?
What possible grounds could they have? Plenty of states completely ban long guns outside of shotguns with slugs. The state has full right to set its own hunting regs.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

Go to Antlertalk.com The guy and his buddy each bought one. He is shooting 200 yards no problem. It is under the whitetail forum.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry wrong site I just checked. Go to the Hunting Indiana website go to whitetail forum I found it on page 9 with the title of PCR Wildcat.