Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Bowguns wild boar hunting >

Bowguns wild boar hunting

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Bowguns wild boar hunting

Old 07-03-2003, 01:23 AM

Default Bowguns wild boar hunting

I am considering a wild boar hunt at Bowguns in Indiana, by Richmond. Has anyone hunted there before? Good, bad, etc. Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bowguns wild boar hunting

neweboarhunter ,
Is that an outfitter hunt or a " canned ranch" ? I asked DNR about boar hunting here and they said that Indiana has no resident boar population . I would be very interested in this if it were to be fair chase , I don' t care for canned hunting .
Old 07-03-2003, 11:57 PM

Kevin1,

If by " canned hunting" you mean high fenced? Then it is. I have had some very exciting hunts at some high fenced ranches. I have also had some poor experiances at some too. In my opinion it depends alot on the terrain and the amount of ground fenced in.
Also any wild boar hunting in any states other than Texas, California, and the deep south are mostly high fenced. The boar I am talking about are Russian, Austrian, European, and some ferral hogs. I like to hunt the Austrian and Russian they look damn near prehistoric, the ferral hogs that are wild look like som pig at the local farm.
Anyway you bring up a good point about " canned hunting" I only hunt boar, exotic deer which you can' t hunt in the wild in North America.
I don' t think I would shoot an elk at at " canned hunting ranch" most of these hunts last only a few hours and cost way too much.

Old 07-04-2003, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I recently finished a 3 state, 7 Bowhunts for Boar & Javalina-some high fence,some not. All are excellent & no hunt was over $500. All places mentioned have web sites
Coal Creek Farms, Paris, Il. (right on Indiana border) (Russian hogs)
Shilo Bowhunting near Ada, Oklahoma (exotics & hogs)
Ray Modisett near Diboll, Tx. (hounds & hogs or stand hunts)
Perdenal Bowhunts near Lorado Texas (Javalina/hogs)
If you would like more info-e-mail me [email protected]

My best hog taken with Ray Modisett

Old 07-04-2003, 09:41 AM

I just came back from Bowguns. It is a great place to hunt. If hunting russians in the brush is canned I say you havent tried it. We had one helluva close call with one. They will can you if your not careful. Here are my pics- www.ruger454.com
Old 07-04-2003, 02:27 PM

redhawk44p,

I would have to agree with you on hunters making judgment decisions on canned hunting without trying it. I was a little warry of it the first time I hunted at a ranch type hunt. Most of the places I have hunted I have been happy with the experiance. I will say again however you have to do some research before hunting at a ranch so you don' t get stuck hunting a " wild" boar with the witts of a farm lot pig. I will continue to hunt big mean russians and austrian boar at ranch type hunts.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I guess keeping something as destructive as hogs behind a fence ain' t such a bad idea after all , they have terrible problems with feral hogs in the states that do have a population of them in the wild . I may have to reconsider that " canned ranch" position when it comes to hogs . Most of the probs that I have with them concern the ones who high fence publicly owned deer and elk in and charge to hunt them . That practice should be outlawed . If they put up their fences and cleared out all the wild critters , then stocked their land with farm stock I' d think better of them .