Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
HUnting Northern IL state parks >

HUnting Northern IL state parks

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

HUnting Northern IL state parks

Old 07-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Spike

Default HUnting Northern IL state parks

I drew a fire arms tag for starved rock but plan to continue to bow hunt the three parks near me...Shabbona, Lowden Miller, and Starved Rock. Looking for any info and recomendations for where to start looking for stands. I say recomendations cuz I know im not going to get your honey holes but the later of the two parks are quite big so Im looking for a good place to start even just a parking lot number and why...Your help would be much appreciated. Thanx...
Harley
Old 07-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was thinking about hunting shabbona this year...lost my lease...hunted there years ago in January and I heard they were still maxing out on hunters by the end of the day...so I just don't know about how busy/pressure these places get...
Old 07-20-2010, 06:14 AM
Spike

I use to hunt Lowden Miller before it was a park. And couple spots that come to mind would be straight south across the road from parking lot 1. All the way to the back and west. Its pretty thick and swampy.
The other spot is between parking lots 5 and 6. A lot of deer move through this area.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Spike

wear plenty of orange tons of people hunt those places. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Spike

Ive never had a problem bowhunting, but this is my first firearms expierience. Unfortunately we cant all get on private land, which leaves the state parks for the most part.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to disagree with the "pleanty of orange" during deer season. I hunt a few state parks and have to say they are pretty well regulated in Northern Illinois for hunting. Both Deer and Pheasant season are watched pretty hard. Pheasant season I have to say that sometimes there are a few too many people but gun deer season is pretty well regulated and with only a specific amount of permits issued and having to be at least 6 ft off the ground I don't think you need to worry much. I'd say use the other hunters to your advantage. They will be pushing the deer all day long and far, out of reach spots will be your best bets. Also, deer will be moving all day due to cold, hungry hunters getting out of there stands so an all day sit is best. Good Luck!