Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Deer hunting in WI: info sources for a "newbie" >

Deer hunting in WI: info sources for a "newbie"

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Deer hunting in WI: info sources for a "newbie"

Old 05-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Spike

On the DNR website it does have a link to the public land in WI. There are thousands of acres open but much of it gets hunted hard especially around the cities and south and west of Madison as that's open for rifle hunting. Right next to you in both Sauk and Columbia counties much of the land by the WI river is public land and you can use a rifle there. Take a drive along the WI river roads and you'll see quite a few of the signs for public ground, they are usually white/green or brown/white.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Spike

Default Really?

Originally Posted by WIbuckchaser
If you find a place that looks inviting just make sure you ask the locals if they have seen any wolves in the area. Good chance the deer won't be there if so. Just my two cents.
Why would the wolves be there if there were no deer to prey upon? All you guys who complain about the wolves, get over it. Ya, deer are gonna be a little more cautious and skiddish in areas with wolves, but in no way are the wolves gonna eat all the deer. It is not even close to as bad as most hunters would lead you to believe.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Spike

Just curious if anyone has tried hunting in the National Forest lands. I am considering checking out the Lakewood-Laorna district... http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/cnnf/rec/hun...vicin_map.html
Appears that the area I'm looking at is in zones 49B, 51A, 51B. Cross referencing the Buck Harvest Density map, it's not tops but not bottom of the barrel either.

I'll check up on the regulations, but hopefully rifle hunting is allowed there.

The other two options I'm investigating are public lands in Trempeleau County (though I hear that area is really heavily hunted) and public lands in northern Columbia county.

If anyone has any experience with this area (or ANY advice at all, really) it's much appreciated.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

aaaarrrrgggggg wolves!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

I would suggest buying an all outdoors atlas... They have two for Wisconsin and they list all the public properties and the MFL lands...

Here is a link to there site:
http://www.sportsmansconnection.com/atlases/