Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

question

Old 03-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Spike

Default question

Hi forum members,
I am a full time deer manager in england,and i have just joined the forum.So far i have learnt quite alot about the way things work in the states,is there a hunter out there that know's the town of Garwin.The reason that i am asking this question is that my sister in law runs the garwin bull pub.I would appreciate the chance to chew the fat with some hunters from around that area.
cheer's,
chinese water deer.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Spike

The only Garwin I could find was in Iowa. Is this the right location? If so that is the best whitetail deer state in the country. Hunted there often.

Looking forward to match #1 World Cup in June.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Spike

Hiya KZIM,
Yes that is the place that i asked about,i was wondering if there was any hunters out there that came from around Garwin.So they have some decent whitetails there do they.I appreciate you answering my post, i know that i am going to enjoy being a member of the forum,because i can learn alot from the various posts on hunting.
Speak to you again,
chinese water deer.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Spike

cwd,

That town is very small and Iowa is a very low human populated state. The prime deer hunting is located just south of these maybe 30 minutes. The lower 1/3rd of the state, where which is heavily wooded. Also the eastern border ofthe state by Mississippi river. Bucks get big in Iowa due to restriced gun seasons. It's archery only during the November rut. Hunting permits are by lottery for nonresidents. If you want to hunt there some day apply for a preference point by June 1st. Takes about 1 point to draw a gun permit, 2 points for archery. Slammer state for deer hunting, #1 in my opinion.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Spike

HI KZIM,
Good to hear from you again,once again i have learnt some new information about the hunting out there.It seems strange to me the various rules and regulations that you hunters have across america,i suppose its got something to do with the size of the place, and the amount of hunters in general.I think that if they did not impose these rules it could cause a bit of a problem,and a drastic fall in deer numbers!!!.Over here we still have deer seasons,but everyone that stalks deer,regardless if they do it for a sports pastime,or in my case and a few more like me,we do it fulltime.Every stalker has his own cull quota,depending how much ground he looks after.Even with the seasons i stalk all year round,because the various species of deer we have allow me to do it.Your bowhunting looks like fun to me,its funny how things go, but we had a king back in the dark ages that made a royal decree,that every able bodied man and boy should practice 3 days a week with a longbow!!!now hears the crunch! WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SHOOT ANY ANIMAL OR BIRDS WITH A BOW!!!!and that to me is bl...dy stupid,but ther you go thats jolly old england for you!!!!!!Well mate if you or any of your hunting buddies want to have a natter about hunting in general post me,the more the better.
regards,
chinese water deer.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Spike

Default Not Sure?

Hi Kzim,
Regarding hunting in iowa,i would like to know what is a Preference Point.?
You also said takes 1 point to draw a gun permit.
takes2 points for archery.
and what is the word SLAMMER does it mean good or bad?

please can you advise on the above.
Many thanks,
chinese water deer.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Spike

Many of the high demand hunting states have to ration permits to give everyone a chance to hunt. Iowa is one such state. If you want to hunt there you must apply in a lottery. Each your you are not drawn you are issued a preference point for the next year. So the next year you will have a better chance to draw. Those with the most points get a permit. So in Iowa most gun hunts take 1 point, archery hunts from 1 to 3 points depending on zone. Just south of Garwin is Zone 5 which would take 2 points to draw for archery. There is tons of great public land there with big bucks. I know the places well. If you want to hunt there in 2012, apply for a point this year. To hunt any of the public land is free other than the permit which is $500. Hunter pressure is very low there due to restricted permits.

Slammer means extremely good.

If you ever wanted to deer hunt in the US, this is the way to go. No need to pay extra for outfitter. Just camp out or stay in hotel, and hunt Iowa! #1 as I said.