Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Wisconsin feral hog hunting? Crawford County >

Wisconsin feral hog hunting? Crawford County

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin feral hog hunting? Crawford County

Old 01-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wisconsin feral hog hunting? Crawford County

Has anyone ever found some of these and hunted them? They say that the majority of them are in Crawford County.
I would like to try it but don't want to drive all the way there for nothing if I can help it.
If anyone has any useful info on this I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Old 01-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Spike

I live in Crawford county and I haven't seen one yet. I've heard about them being around but I guess I don't hunt in the area they're in. From what I've heard they're around the Gays Mills area or Barnum area etc. and I hunt down along the WI river near Wauzeka and PDC.

To me if there is a large amount of them I'd think I'd hear of more being taken during deer season instead of the 2 or 3 I have heard of. I'd also think that with the snow being on the ground and no foilage on the trees right now they should be easier to spot and hunt. It's just something you don't hear mentioned around here very much. They have rabbit hunts and coyote hunts and I've yet to hear of a hog hunt maybe it's because there isn't many of them to justify having one.?

We are in WI where a lot people hunt deer until all their tags are filled whether it makes sense or not. If there was a large population of feral hogs I'd think they'd be hunted until they're all gone. Maybe the DNR needs to get on that now and tell the hunters we have to many of them and they're infected with CWD. That should take care of it.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

The DNR probably count them like they do the deer. If they see one they count it as 10 or 20??
Thanks for the input.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Also I have heard that in order to shoot a feral hog you have to buy a small game license which is completely stupid.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckmaster68
The DNR probably count them like they do the deer. If they see one they count it as 10 or 20??
Thanks for the input.
LOL!! I like that, one deer now means (this many) in WI!!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

You have to cover your deer targets and deer lawn ornaments or they count them too!!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:59 AM
Spike

In Chippewa County they count every John Deere too.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Spike

Default feral

I spent a weekend in the Bells Center Unit/Gays Mills last summer. Followed definite spoor for a sow and pigglets. She was a big one, her bed a bit over 5 feet long. Slept under the stars and through the night heard them rooting.
It was the first time there and looking forward to going back. Beautiful area. Come to find out I have family in the area and they told me a neighbor of theirs had taken out a pig with a car a few months later.

As to licensing, a small game license is required to harvest the pig for consumption, however if you give the game to the DNR for testing, a license is not required. At least that was last years rules.

Bells Center Unit has some nasty, swampy terrain; thick with the kind of foliage a dog won't even go into...perfect home for bacon.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Spike

Default feral hogs

I have hunted them in Texas because they are all over the place. Nothing to my knowledge in Wisconsin. It will happer somethime in the future because they multiply quickly

Nappy13
Old 05-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Spike

I heard they are around Richland Center. I have not seen any,but sure would like to hunt them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.