HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Learning about hunting in IL (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/314160-learning-about-hunting-il.html)

dek 01-04-2010 08:45 AM

Learning about hunting in IL

Hello all, I was looking for a forum to ask questions about hunting, and this was the first google result :)

i'm a 28yo USAF veteran living in DeKalb IL, I've recently sent in my FOID application, hoping to hear back soon so I can buy a few guns.

My dad is going to give me a semi-auto 22 rifle and a very old single shot 16 gauge shotgun. I'm looking to take these and go rabbit or squirrel hunting somewhere - I was looking for a way to get started hunting with a minimum of required equipment.

I'm looking for advice and links, really, to information about where I could hunt, what laws I will need to follow, essential equipment, etc.

I am really having a lot of trouble finding information on public land where it would be legal to hunt rabbit or squirrel. Seems to be plenty of information on deer and duck, which I don't think i'm ready for.

Any replies will be appreciated. :D

David

Demo92 01-04-2010 09:33 AM

pick up a copy of the hunting rules and regs booklet. they have a list of the public areas and what u can hunt at each site. as far as equipment it all depends on how serious u want to get. to start off with, get u some good winter clothes and go have fun.

good luck.

uncle matt 01-04-2010 01:57 PM

You can view the IL Digest of Hunting & Trapping regulations online at this site......

http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/digest/

And you can find more detailed info about specific sites online at this site.....

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/PARKS/index.htm

Most of the guys here are always glad to help so don't be afraid to ask questions.

dek 01-05-2010 07:24 AM

thanks guys, i'll check that stuff out. Uncle Matt, is that your hand? :o

dek 01-05-2010 07:36 AM

ok i've done some more reading, i'm thinking about going to silver springs in yorkville to hunt rabbits in a couple of weeks.

i have a few more questions. This link...

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt...R2hfs/slsp.htm

says Pheasant, Quail, Rabbit - Non Permit jan 9-10 and jan 13-15

Pheasant, Quail, Rabbit - Non Permit - REGISTER: 8 AM - 8:30 AM. Shot size: lead #5 or smaller, steel #3 or smaller. Blaze orange cap, upper garment & IDNR patch required along with an IDNR patch. Archers must use flu-flu arrows only. Bag limit: Two pheasants of either sex. Pheasants must possess an IDNR tag before removing from area. Statewide bag limits apply for quail & rabbit. Hunters required to hunt in assigned area for first hour.

my questions are, what does non-permit mean? I'm assuming it means that I need only a FOID card and a hunting license. I know about the shot sizes, and the blaze orange. I don't know what an IDNR patch is, does that just mean that it's an IDNR approved garment?

solocamcan 01-05-2010 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by dek (Post 3547792)
ok i've done some more reading, i'm thinking about going to silver springs in yorkville to hunt rabbits in a couple of weeks.

Pheasant, Quail, Rabbit - Non Permit - REGISTER: 8 AM - 8:30 AM. Shot size: lead #5 or smaller, steel #3 or smaller. Blaze orange cap, upper garment & IDNR patch required along with an IDNR patch. Archers must use flu-flu arrows only. Bag limit: Two pheasants of either sex. Pheasants must possess an IDNR tag before removing from area. Statewide bag limits apply for quail & rabbit. Hunters required to hunt in assigned area for first hour.

my questions are, what does non-permit mean? I'm assuming it means that I need only a FOID card and a hunting license. I know about the shot sizes, and the blaze orange. I don't know what an IDNR patch is, does that just mean that it's an IDNR approved garment?

You have to apply for a site permit before season I believe, IF you dont have a permit they will conduct a draw (lottery) for those without the permitt between 8-8:30. IDNR patch? Maybe just register at the park in question? There should be a phone number in the digest, I'd just call and ask. You may not get your FOID in time this year anyways, usually takes 6-8 weeks.

uncle matt 01-05-2010 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by dek (Post 3547785)
thanks guys, i'll check that stuff out. Uncle Matt, is that your hand? :o

Are you kidding? Arrows can't penetrate these hands of steel.

SuperRedHawk 01-08-2010 01:34 PM

Normally you need a permit at Silver Springs, applied for in advance. Pheasants are released there, but on those days they will not be released. Those days I believe, is like a "clean up" period.
The back patch is given to you at the site when you register.
I used to go there quite a bit, never seen many rabbits or quail.
It may be a good time to get your feet wet though, give it a shot!

fastetti 01-08-2010 02:55 PM

Dek, while I am done hunting for this year, I hunt a lot of these public lands. Some are good, some are bad and some are pretty interesting. Ive hunted a bunch of the public spots within an hour and a half of the city. Most of the time I don't have dogs but have been lucky to make some friends on some outdoor forums that have let me hunt with there dogs. If you need any information, shoot me over a PM. Im a couple years older than you and have only in the past 4 years started hunting public land in Northern Illinois. Through my trial and errors Ive found some good spots that produce birds and/or rabbits pretty consistently with and without dogs.

Equipment wise, I started young with a .410, then moved to a 16 gauge and in HS moved up to a 12 gauge. If you start looking, I'd suggest looking at the Remington 870 Combo or the Mossberg 500 combo (Combos include 2 barrels, basically one for upland game and one for deer). This way you have a gun for pretty much anything you can hunt in Illinois including deer. I mainly hunt with the 870 but have used the 500 for deer and birds and like them both.

If you do enough research on the internet and ask for help, getting into deer hunting can be a little easier than you think. Getting one, well, that can be a little tougher. :) Ive sat for a month everynight and never saw one and Ive gone out sat on a stump and shot one within 15 minutes.

Again, if you need any help on spots, shoot me over a PM. I'll try to give you an analysis on what spots I like and dislike for pheasant/rabbit hunting.

jrfrmn 01-09-2010 08:06 PM

Silver Springs

Silver Springs is not a very good place for rabbits,but at least you can get out. Without a dog you will have to go slow and look close because most all cover is mostly grass.

Originally Posted by dek (Post 3547792)