Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
IL antlerless season >

IL antlerless season

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

IL antlerless season

Old 01-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntingforme
Opinion from Wisconsin.

Watch yourselves, and your DNR. At first the idea of numerous doe tags sounds great. However, when you do this for a few years you'll see a significant reduction in the numbers of deer that you see. Take this along with the rest of your DNR tactics, such as using snipers to reduce populations, and you have yourself a recipe for harder hunting.

When this happens, don't place all the blame on the DNR, because in the end, it is hunters that fill all those tags given out.
Not every county has unlimited Doe tags, most are only 1 tag, and some are 0. Plus there isnt that much participation in late season Doe only season.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by solocamcan
Not every county has unlimited Doe tags, most are only 1 tag, and some are 0. Plus there isnt that much participation in late season Doe only season.
That is exactly how it started for us. Counting on little participation in any hunting period is a mistake.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by salukipv1
hey is there a bag limit in the non unlimited units? ie Jo Daviess? 1 per permit? or one per person total this season?

like can you take 2 does if you have 2 unused shotgun tags? or is the season total just 1 doe per person?
Up in Jo Davies' county you are only allowed to shoot one more antlerless deer regardless of how many permits you have.

http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/pdf/lat...ountiesmap.pdf
Old 01-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is exactly how it started for us. Counting on little participation in any hunting period is a mistake.
Its been this way for awhile, this isnt the 1st year of late season here.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Spike

Its been this way for awhile, this isnt the 1st year of late season here.
So I was talking to another hunter from your state, and he told me about the increased doe tags, the DNR using "snipers" to reduce deer, and the increased number of doe tags being sold or given out.

Having hunted here in Wisconsin for many years the one thing that I know is that this is exactly how the hunting has declined here. We now see fewer deer each year and our DNR is still pushing for us to kill more, all in the name of CWD.

So, regardless of what happens down there, you have history of what went wrong to look upon to prevent this from happening to you. Take it or leave it.

S
Old 01-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

So I was talking to another hunter from your state, and he told me about the increased doe tags, the DNR using "snipers" to reduce deer, and the increased number of doe tags being sold or given out.

Having hunted here in Wisconsin for many years the one thing that I know is that this is exactly how the hunting has declined here. We now see fewer deer each year and our DNR is still pushing for us to kill more, all in the name of CWD.

So, regardless of what happens down there, you have history of what went wrong to look upon to prevent this from happening to you. Take it or leave it.

S
Yes it is easier to get tags. But most counties are 1 per person. Never heard of "snipers". Trust me, not many hunter participate. Opening day of our regular season sounded like Somalia in the movie Blackhawk Down...the meat locker had about 200 deer piled up. Opening day of late season I heard 5-6 shots and the meat locker had about 20-25 Doe.

I hear what your saying, but I dont think it will ever get to the point of it reducing our deer numbers enough for us to notice it.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Spike

Yes it is easier to get tags. But most counties are 1 per person. Never heard of "snipers". Trust me, not many hunter participate. Opening day of our regular season sounded like Somalia in the movie Blackhawk Down...the meat locker had about 200 deer piled up. Opening day of late season I heard 5-6 shots and the meat locker had about 20-25 Doe.

I hear what your saying, but I dont think it will ever get to the point of it reducing our deer numbers enough for us to notice it.
Neither did the 550,000 hunters here in Wisconsin
Old 01-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The majority of IL counties that allow late Antlerless-Only season are eforcing a 1 deer limit. Only 11 counties are approved for UNLIMITED.

I'm sure that the brutal sub zero temps kept the majority of hunters at home this weekend. I know we seen very few vehicles at any spots we passed this weekend and most friends that I asked about it said, "NO WAY"! lol !

That being said, we managed to get out and fill a few tags and the coolest thing was that both my sons (ages 9 & 10) were able to fill their last 2 tags on the 1st and 2nd evening. We found that the deer just couldn't resist our Buck Forage Oats plots! It was an great weekend in my opinion.

Here's one of my favorite pix from this weekend. MY 10 year old son, Nick, with his Muzzleloader Doe. One shot from 50 yards dropped her in her tracks.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Up in Jo Davies' county you are only allowed to shoot one more antlerless deer regardless of how many permits you have.

http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/pdf/lat...ountiesmap.pdf
I may be wrong, but the one permit and unlimited permits are for over the counter permits in participating counties restricting how many you can buy. If you have unfilled tags from the firearms or muzzleloader season you can still use those as well making it possible to shoot more than one. I would check for yourself and not rely on my post.

Last edited by cherokee75; 01-04-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

I suppose it is no surprise there are unlimited antlerless permits in all the big buck counties reflected in red on the map uncle matt provided a link for in his post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.